Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd March 2020, 02:07 PM
Friend

Default digitising

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
One of the problems with d*** media is one of archival storage. Slides, as a storage medium, lasted from the 1930s until 2010. That's eighty years! The Compact Disc (1982) and DVD (1995) have lasted to the present day but only a tiny proportion of the trillions of images produced nowadays are stored on 'permanent' media. How many Smartphones are discarded each year, along with their records of families?
I am told that modern CDs are good for at least a century but I remember the scandal of a museum in Ireland that digitised its entire library because they were running out of space, only to find that the discs were degrading only a few years after many of the books had been sold, given away or destroyed.
I have 6x6 slides in glass from the late 1960s, process E3, which are still in good shape. There is an article elsewhere that describes removing fungus from Kodachrome with a weak solution of Hydrogen Peroxide. Anyone tried it?
I absolutely agree with you over CD's, they do degrade however the memory sticks do not require any mechanical methods of information retrieval and should last for many years.

A hard drive in a computer is a much bigger version of a CD and could become unreliable after 7-10 years (So I believe) Mine was about 9 so I have had my desk top hard drive changed for a solid state drive. It runs cooler and quicker and has far less false starts than the old hard drive. So a memory stick may be a far better option.
Old 5th March 2020, 10:04 AM
Friend

Default Archiving colour film

Negatives are worth archiving as well as slides. The colleague I mentioned above asked me whether Negative Lab Pro (at $99) is any better than Photoshop > Adjust >Invert. I have no idea. Any observations?

Forgive me for introducing D*** but one storage medium wouldn't exist without the other. On the other hand I read that some museums are archiving original colour stills and movies as three-colour B&W separations.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:09 AM
Friend

The Brooklyn Historical Society has a very well thought out document describing its archival practice for various media. Along with a lot of other relevant and interesting material, it can be found here.

In about 2003 I started to scan all my negatives and transparencies, storing the files on DVDs (I feel that optical storage sounds more reliable than magnetic storage). Apart from one disastrous brand of writeable DVD (Commodore), my files are all readable with simple equipment. I have other image files that can be stored in the same manner.

Like Jonathan, I hope that this post is not rocking the boat in terms of what we may say in FADU.
Old 5th March 2020, 02:47 PM
Friend

Lots of food for thought from everyone - thank you, as ever much appreciated
Old 5th March 2020, 09:24 PM
Friend

I remember one of the leading UK Museums revealing their problem with ten or twelve inch floppy discs. They had opted to put all their info. onto them.
A few years after loading everything onto them they found out no one was making the disks or players anymore, and they could not get a company to repair the existing players.
Screwed.

A bit late now but...
The recommendation years ago was to store negatives and slides in metal cabinets. Away from chemicals and fumes. Also some paints and plastics could give off harmful fumes, as could wood.
Obviously a dry atmosphere was a must.

Old photography manuals will have information on safe storage.
Including cleaning slides etc.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies