Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th October 2020, 01:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Varying the bleach can make a difference, Potassium Ferricyanide and Sodium Chloride will give more of a shift to yellow.

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
Below is a post from the old rec.photo.darkroom site... I haven't used any of these, just posting in case it's interesting for the OP.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, Ca.
Having read yet more about various toner combinations in another couple of books last night, along with Ian's post about using table salt, has made me realise that there are a lot more bleach and toning options and combinations, whilst still using the same basic chemicals that I have.

Along with Richard's post and my various books, I can see this subject keeping me occupied for some time to come.

And then of course there is Tim Rudman's toning book, which I was lucky enough to purchase a copy of before the prices went through the roof, although one of the reprints would have been slightly cheaper.

All of yesterday afternoon, I started by trying a number of various combinations, using just thiourea and sodium hydroxide at different percentages, which produced test strips with a wide range of tones from more yellow now, through shades of brown to a brownish purple colour which I quite like.

Many thanks to all for your contributions.

Terry S
Old 28th October 2020, 03:15 PM
Friend

Just a shot in the dark here,Terry but in Richard article which Stocky linked to there did seem to be a combo of toner and bleach that from the description of what it produced might match the picture from the Moersch website that you were trying to emulate It was the B3/T3 combo

Of course I can't be sure that what Richard has in mind as bright sunlit sepia is anything like my assumption that the Moersch picture of the little boy fits Richard's description

Mike
Old 28th October 2020, 04:22 PM
Friend

There is much more to sepia toning than the simple bleach and toner that you get from Fotospeed, and many variations of the simple sepia tone, that's why I love sepia toning,
Richard
Old 30th October 2020, 01:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
...a combo of toner and bleach that from the description of what it produced might match the picture from the Moersch website that you were trying to emulate It was the B3/T3 combo

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
There is much more to sepia toning than the simple bleach and toner that you get from Fotospeed
Richard
Yes, you may be right Mike, about a formula being there that I have initially wanted, for I have only just touched the surface of available formula.

After just one day, I got close to a yellow tone, as on the Moersch website and along the way discovered some other tones that I really like.

I think that I will start a little book with the various toned test-strips
that I do. For just using a couple of different papers, gives even more options, even when just using the four main chemicals usually offered in formulas.

Popping out for something for dinner yesterday, I also bought a cheap packet of table salt. With this I can also try a variation on the bleach formulas which has been mentioned.

And as Richard says, there definitely is many more combinations of ingredients and colours available, than got with a shop bought sepia toning kit and it is just so interesting trying out the various formulas and comparing results. I can see it keeping me happily busy over the coming dark months.

Terry S
Old 30th October 2020, 02:04 PM
Friend

Terry if you keep good notes and sample prints then I think you may end up with a comprehensive and very useful article for all of us.

I hope that you can share it with us

Happy toning

Mike
Old 31st October 2020, 12:03 PM
Friend

I've never been a fan of sepia toning except where it's very subtle. I love the look that Michael Kenna and Bill Schwab get by lightly bleaching the highlights only and then toning. It warms up the image in a way that's not too obvious without the sickly (purely my opinion) look that sepia can sometimes produce.
Attached Thumbnails
5837A908-1D15-413B-9EB7-5CA8978045F8.jpeg   BA2AB6A9-6813-4B3C-9692-BD26292B48B9.jpeg  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies