Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Toning

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th September 2022, 08:38 PM
Friend

Default Fotospeed Masking Fluid - What's happened to it?nd

I was browsing through Fotospeed's site and while masking cleaning fluid for brushes is still there, the actual masking fluid seems to have disappeared. Fotospeed does not appear to have issued any notice about it either

I can't find it anywhere. Is this one of these temporary so-called COVID problems or has it gone for good?

If Fotospeed has permanently ceased to stock it, is there any other masking fluid suitable?

Yes I can find plenty of makes and stockists but it all seems to be for artists i.e. painters of watercolours or acrylics I have no idea if any of that stuff will withstand the likes of the bleach for sepia toning for instance

Thanks for any help on suitable sources

Mike
Old 10th September 2022, 11:13 PM
Friend

We used to use a paper adhesive called Cow Gum when selectively sepia toning B&W prints but that has not been sold for close on 20 years. There is a replacement sold by GOOD artists shops but cannot remember the name. It is a weak contact adhesive but works very well if selectively toning B&W - But it ain't cheap. The last tin I bought was about £5 for 250cc and that was over 15 years ago and you do use quite a lot of it.
Old 11th September 2022, 12:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Yes I can find plenty of makes and stockists but it all seems to be for artists i.e. painters of watercolours or acrylics I have no idea if any of that stuff will withstand the likes of the bleach for sepia toning for instance

Mike
Hi Mike.

I haven't used it in a while - although nearly did recently - but I HAVE used the 'artists' version of masking liquid many times for selective toning, with NO problems at all. I didn't know about the 'liquid brush cleaner' though, so only bought and used cheap brushes when using the liquid, throwing them away after use.

I must check if I have any left to use.

Terry S
Old 11th September 2022, 04:41 PM
Friend

Thanks both. So it looks as if collectively we aren't sure about Fotospeed's Fotomask come-back but at least I know that artist's masking fluid is OK so thanks for that info Terry

While brushes may be cheap it would be nice to know if they can be cleaned in water, preferably, or say white spirit. In fact for all I know even Fotomask might have been removed from brushes with white spirit. It certainly much cheaper than Fotospeed's brush cleaner

Mike
Old 12th September 2022, 02:05 PM
Friend

Well I checked with Fotospeed today and I was told that it has taken the Masking Fluid off its product lines

It was someone in sales I spoke to and he said that some of the ingredients were just too difficult to obtain but it was not a COVID type issue i.e. production was not going to re-start at some as yet unknown time in the future

After a few more minutes of talking he did hint that there may have been some health and safety issues with the ingredients but whether this was connected to its production or distribution to customers or both was not some thing I pressed him for answers

I suppose that if brushes require a special cleaning fluid then some of the ingredients in masking fluid may be somewhat hazardous but so is a lot of other stuff sold today

Anyway I felt that there was no point in pressing him further given that the bottom line is that masking fluid is permanently off Fotospeed's product list

Mike
Old 12th September 2022, 04:00 PM
Friend

Windsor & Newton, Daler Rowney, Frisk, and other, art masking fluid is easy to find.

My local store The Range stocks the Windsor & Newton one, and Frisk is available in an outline pen as well as a bottle.

Personally I prefer to work freehand but have used masking fluids, when working freehand there's always the option of correcting mistakes by rinsing and selectively re-developing the mistake.

Ian
Old 12th September 2022, 04:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Windsor & Newton, Daler Rowney, Frisk, and other, art masking fluid is easy to find.

My local store The Range stocks the Windsor & Newton one, and Frisk is available in an outline pen as well as a bottle.

Personally I prefer to work freehand but have used masking fluids, when working freehand there's always the option of correcting mistakes by rinsing and selectively re-developing the mistake.

Ian
Thanks Ian, if you were to use brushes can they be cleaned in soapy water or is a solvent cleaner required and I assume that once the area to be toned has been toned the dried fluid is simply rubbed off with a finger?

Final question: I was watching Dave Butcher of Ilford fame demonstrating a small section only of the print being toned and he said that he had to build up the edge of the mask around the area to be toned to prevent the bleach and then toner spilling onto the rest of the print

He didn't say so but I had assumed it was probably Fotospeed masking fluid he had used so can the fluids you mention be built up as well to form a kind of wall that will hold the toner inside the area to be toned?

The outline pen sounds particularly useful for some uses

Thanks

Mike
Old 12th September 2022, 05:36 PM
Friend

Mike, I get my brushes from The Range, they are branded Royal, as long as you clean after use warm water there are no issues.

When I did use masking fluids yes you do need to build up the edges, but I found it unnecessarily tome consuming, I just stopped using it completely. I already did a lot of very intricate retouching, and cut out work, for commercial work, I found that I could actually be more accurate freehand. Later I did research into selective toning and hand colouring. The speed I could accurately bleach, selectively tone, then hand colour was something I demonstrated in a lecture in the late 1980s. These were the images.

I'd add that some of the toners were Colour Dye Couplers, so you bleach with a rehalogenating bleach, and use a basic colour developer with the Dye Coupler (or blend) added to the developer. Johnsons of Hendon Colour Form was a 1950s commercial kit, later Tetenal sold one as well/

The late Bob Carlos Clarke used the Tetenal product for many of his images in The Dark Summer. I had a conversation with him about these techniques very late 1980s, I wish I'd bought some prints . . . . .

Ian

Last edited by Lostlabours; 12th September 2022 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12th September 2022, 10:40 PM
Friend

Thanks Ian I recall the images in the link and then as now I have to say they are amazing

My specific thought was about the easiest way to do selective toning, specifically sepia, on parts of a print and I had thought that a "wall" of masking fluid around the area to be toned might be easiest in which to selectively toned

However it may be that a broadish but shallow mask around the area and brushing the area with bleach and then running water over it until bleached then toning would work

Mike
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:36 AM
SaraKip

Default НаркологичСская ΠΊΠ»ΠΈΠ½ΠΈΠΊΠ°

ΠСнСссанс – наркологичСская ΠΊΠ»ΠΈΠ½ΠΈΠΊΠ° β„–1 Π² Π˜Π·Ρ€Π°ΠΈΠ»Π΅ http://renaissance-clinics.com
ΠŸΠΎΡ‡Π΅ΠΌΡƒ ΠΎΠ±Ρ€Π°Ρ‰Π΅Π½ΠΈΠ΅ ΠΊ спСциалистам Π½Π΅ΠΎΠ±Ρ…ΠΎΠ΄ΠΈΠΌΠΎ?
ΠŸΡ€ΠΎΠ³Ρ€Π°ΠΌΠΌΡ‹ Π»Π΅Ρ‡Π΅Π½ΠΈΠ΅ Π½Π°Ρ€ΠΊΠΎΠΌΠ°Π½ΠΈΠΈ, Π»Π΅Ρ‡Π΅Π½ΠΈΠ΅ Π°Π»ΠΊΠΎΠ³ΠΎΠ»ΠΈΠ·ΠΌΠ° ΠΈ ΠΏΡ€ΠΎΡ‡ΠΈΡ… зависимостСйразработаны с Ρ†Π΅Π»ΡŒΡŽ оказания ΠΏΠΎΠΌΠΎΡ‰ΠΈ Π² Π±ΠΎΡ€ΡŒΠ±Π΅ с навязчивой ΠΈ ΠΏΠ°Π³ΡƒΠ±Π½ΠΎΠΉ ΠΏΡ€ΠΈΠ²Ρ‹Ρ‡ΠΊΠΎΠΉ, слСдуя ΠΊΠΎΡ‚ΠΎΡ€ΠΎΠΉ, Π’Ρ‹ тСряСтС ΠΊΠΎΠ½Ρ‚Ρ€ΠΎΠ»ΡŒ Π½Π°Π΄ собой, своим Ρ‚Π΅Π»ΠΎΠΌ ΠΈ Тизнью Π² Ρ†Π΅Π»ΠΎΠΌ.ΠšΠ²Π°Π»ΠΈΡ„ΠΈΡ†ΠΈΡ€ΠΎΠ²Π°Π½Π½Π°Ρ ΠΏΠΎΠΌΠΎΡ‰ΡŒ спСциалистов просто Π½Π΅ΠΎΠ±Ρ…ΠΎΠ΄ΠΈΠΌΠ°, ΠΏΠΎΡ‚ΠΎΠΌΡƒ Ρ‡Ρ‚ΠΎ Π΄Π°Π»Π΅ΠΊΠΎ Π½Π΅ ΠΊΠ°ΠΆΠ΄ΠΎΠΌΡƒ Ρ‡Π΅Π»ΠΎΠ²Π΅ΠΊΡƒ удаСтся ΠΈΠ·Π±Π°Π²ΠΈΡ‚ΡŒΡΡ ΠΎΡ‚ зависимости ΡΠ°ΠΌΠΎΡΡ‚ΠΎΡΡ‚Π΅Π»ΡŒΠ½ΠΎ.
ΠžΠ±Ρ€Π°Ρ‚ΠΈΠ²ΡˆΠΈΡΡŒ Π·Π° ΠΏΠΎΠΌΠΎΡ‰ΡŒΡŽ Π² Ρ€Π΅Π°Π±ΠΈΠ»ΠΈΡ‚Π°Ρ†ΠΈΠΎΠ½Π½Ρ‹ΠΉ Ρ†Π΅Π½Ρ‚Ρ€ ΠΈΠ»ΠΈ ΠΏΡ€ΠΎΡ„ΠΈΠ»ΡŒΠ½ΡƒΡŽ ΠΊΠ»ΠΈΠ½ΠΈΠΊΡƒ, Π’Ρ‹ ΠΏΠ΅Ρ€Π΅Π΄Π°Π΅Ρ‚Π΅ всС Π²Ρ‹ΡˆΠ΅ пСрСчислСнныС Π·Π°Π΄Π°Ρ‡ΠΈ ΠΎΠΏΡ‹Ρ‚Π½Ρ‹ΠΌ спСциалистам, Π²Π»Π°Π΄Π΅ΡŽΡ‰ΠΈΠΌ знаниями ΠΈ Π½Π°Π²Ρ‹ΠΊΠ°ΠΌΠΈ для оказания максимально эффСктивной ΠΏΠΎΠΌΠΎΡ‰ΠΈ Π’Π°ΠΌ.
Другая ваТная ΠΏΡ€ΠΈΡ‡ΠΈΠ½Π°, ΠΏΠΎ ΠΊΠΎΡ‚ΠΎΡ€ΠΎΠΉ Π»Π΅Ρ‡Π΅Π½ΠΈΠ΅ наркотичСской, алкогольной ΠΈ ΠΏΡ€ΠΎΡ‡ΠΈΡ… зависимостСй Π½Π΅ΠΎΠ±Ρ…ΠΎΠ΄ΠΈΠΌΠΎ, Π·Π°ΠΊΠ»ΡŽΡ‡Π°Π΅Ρ‚ΡΡ Π² Ρ‚ΠΎΠΌ, Ρ‡Ρ‚ΠΎ Π’Ρ‹ ΡƒΡ‡ΠΈΡ‚Π΅ΡΡŒ, ΠΊΠ°ΠΊ ΡΠΏΡ€Π°Π²Π»ΡΡ‚ΡŒΡΡ с повсСднСвными ΠΏΡ€ΠΎΠ±Π»Π΅ΠΌΠ°ΠΌΠΈ, Π½Π΅ ΠΎΠ±Ρ€Π°Ρ‰Π°ΡΡΡŒ ΠΊ ΠΏΠ°Π³ΡƒΠ±Π½Ρ‹ΠΌ ΠΏΡ€ΠΈΠ²Ρ‹Ρ‡ΠΊΠ°ΠΌ вновь. Π”ΠΎΡΡ‚ΠΈΡ‡ΡŒ этого ΡΠ°ΠΌΠΎΡΡ‚ΠΎΡΡ‚Π΅Π»ΡŒΠ½ΠΎ, Π±Π΅Π· ΠΏΠΎΠ΄Π΄Π΅Ρ€ΠΆΠΊΠΈ ΠΎΠΏΡ‹Ρ‚Π½Ρ‹Ρ… спСциалистов нСвСроятно слоТно.
Π‘ΠΏΠ΅Ρ†ΠΈΠ°Π»ΡŒΠ½Ρ‹Π΅ ΠΏΡ€ΠΎΠ³Ρ€Π°ΠΌΠΌΡ‹ ΠΏΠΎ Π»Π΅Ρ‡Π΅Π½ΠΈΡŽ зависимостСй, Ρ€Π°Π·Ρ€Π°Π±ΠΎΡ‚Π°Π½Π½Ρ‹Π΅ ΠΈΠ½Π΄ΠΈΠ²ΠΈΠ΄ΡƒΠ°Π»ΡŒΠ½ΠΎ для ΠΊΠ°ΠΆΠ΄ΠΎΠ³ΠΎ ΠΏΠ°Ρ†ΠΈΠ΅Π½Ρ‚Π°, способны ΠΏΠΎΠΌΠΎΡ‡ΡŒ ΠΊΠ°ΠΆΠ΄ΠΎΠΌΡƒ, Π²Π½Π΅ зависимости ΠΎΡ‚ наличия ΠΌΠΎΡ‚ΠΈΠ²Π°Ρ†ΠΈΠΈ ΠΈ осознания ΠΏΡ€ΠΎΠ±Π»Π΅ΠΌΡ‹ ΠΊΠ°ΠΊ Ρ‚Π°ΠΊΠΎΠ²ΠΎΠΉ. Π“Ρ€Π°ΠΌΠΎΡ‚Π½ΠΎ составлСнный ΠΏΠ»Π°Π½ Ρ‚Π΅Ρ€Π°ΠΏΠΈΠΈ ΠΏΠΎΠΌΠΎΠΆΠ΅Ρ‚ Π΄Π²ΠΈΠ³Π°Ρ‚ΡŒΡΡ Π²ΠΏΠ΅Ρ€Π΅Π΄, Π½Π΅ ΠΎΠ³Π»ΡΠ΄Ρ‹Π²Π°ΡΡΡŒ Π½Π°Π·Π°Π΄!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies