Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th June 2021, 04:56 PM
Friend

Default Tray dimensions

Hi Team.
Anyone able to please tell me the External dimensions of a 16 x 20 tray?? That is, total space needed to fit one into.
My google powers are failing me.

ps- including depth. Ta!

Last edited by skellum; 20th June 2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 20th June 2021, 09:51 PM
Friend

Don't forget the extra for the pouring spout if it has one.
Some have one some don't.

You are talking about a developing dish for paper?

Cheers.
Old 20th June 2021, 10:49 PM
Friend

Yes, Nat, paper dev tray.
Measuring up for my darkroom. Ripped out all the old flooring and shelving today. Not a small room, but awful layout. Part coomed ceiling, with two doors and low ceiling height
Good news: I can tap into the plumbing in the adjoining en-suite and can access a vent for an extractor fan.
However, I think I'm heading for a seated design with low worktops to get enough height for both enlargers to reach full height. Nor will I have have enough horizontal space to lay out 3 or 4 big trays side by side, so need to design a ladder system. Exact tray size is going to determine which orientation fits best, and which way round I build the sink.
I'll just order trays now and can finalise sizes when they come. In the meantime there's plenty of other prep to do.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 21st June 2021, 06:50 AM
Friend

Hi Colin, dimensions without spout LxBxH
57.5x47x8.5

And dimensions with spout LxBxH
59.5x49.5x8.5

The main challenge of your ladder system, as I'm sure you're aware of, is how to get prints, especially FB, in and out without damaging them.

Best of luck with the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20210621_083917.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	4213  

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 21st June 2021, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Mine looks the same as Marty's and have the same dimensions (tho I gave a little benefit of the doubt and came out with 48x58x8.5 and 50x60x8.5 with spout).

Another option to save space is to use one tray and three jugs - or two trays and two jugs keeping the developer in one tray so as not to aerate it too much. I did that a few times with two trays before I got my 6' sink and it was doable with 2l of stop and fix but there was a bit of flexing of the tray happening when pouring the chems back into the jugs.

Last edited by Bob; 21st June 2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 21st June 2021, 11:05 AM
Friend

Thanks Gents,
Just a bit bigger than I'd hoped unfortunately. I want to build a sink big enough to hold two 16x20 trays for toning- one 'hold' tray and one toner tray.
These sizes still work for me, but for my sink will project further into the room than I wanted as two 16x20 trays will not fit in my preferred orientation.
Never had to deal with a 'ladder' before as my last darkroom allowed one long run of worktop. Not possible this time. I am aware of the risks of damaging wet FB paper trying to slide it sideways in to a tray. However, I am seriously considering a move to using RC papers more. Yes!
Until now I have only used RC for contact sheets, preferring the weight and texture of fibre papers generally. It has finally sunk in that I am a 60 year old amateur dabbler, and when I die my prints will go straight to landfill rather than the Museum of Modern Art, so my preoccupation with archival materials and process is just nonsense. Using RC might actually make me more productive by cutting the time I spend on washing and flattening, allowing more time to actually make new prints.
Old 21st June 2021, 11:50 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Thanks Gents,
Just a bit bigger than I'd hoped unfortunately.
You will just have to go for a Nova slot system. Other than my RH Timer (and, of course, enlarger) it is the best bit of equipment I have in my very small D/R.

Mike
Old 21st June 2021, 12:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
You will just have to go for a Nova slot system. Other than my RH Timer (and, of course, enlarger) it is the best bit of equipment I have in my very small D/R.

Mike
Ditto!

Terry S
Old 21st June 2021, 02:11 PM
Friend

Thanks Gents.
Nothing against the Nova, which I've looked at a couple of times, but just now they don't seem to be available anyway? 'New model coming soon' according to the website.
I need trays for toning in anyway, so will go down that road just now.
Cheers!
Old 21st June 2021, 03:55 PM
Friend

skellum I am sure I am not telling you anything new but you can "square the circle" so to speak by switching to Ilford Portfolio. It's a similar weight to FB with all the benefits of RC.

It's "at a price" of course. If I recall correctly it is now more expensive than most of the ordinary FB paper

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies