Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st June 2021, 05:23 PM
Friend

Hi Mike, I have used Portfolio but not for some time.
My preferred papers have been FB for years, currently Ilford FBWT but I dabble with things like Slavich and Adox. Fibre papers have a lovely weight and I prefer their low-gloss surface to the very reflective surface some RC papers exhibit. The archival aspect used to concern me, as there was speculation that RC papers would have a shorter life.
However, I have RC prints from my school darkroom which show no signs of perishing, so don't feel troubled about the life of RC papers. I've already bought in some Ilford and Foma RC to test, just as soon as I'm up and running again.
My thinking is that the two hours I spend at the end of a session washing prints, toning, washing again, then taping them up to dry is two hours that could be spent making another half dozen prints on RC.
Old 23rd June 2021, 03:47 AM
Friend

I use an older 12x16 Nova and that limits my paper size. I'm reconciled to that. As much as I enjoy mine, I've read some negative comments about the new model, but I know very little about it.

About stacking trays, could you have them on drawer slides to avoid trying to slide the paper into a horizontal gap? Maybe you could have two trays on the top, side by side, and the two lower trays on a sliding flat drawer. You would pull them out to transfer the paper from the top (stop bath) to the fixer beneath.

Last edited by Stocky; 23rd June 2021 at 03:58 AM.
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:15 AM
Friend

Good morning Stocky, that's pretty much the plan. The 'ladder' will be 4 levels with the top fixed, as the tray is fully accessible and doesn't need to move. 3 shelves below it. Stop, fix water hold in that order so any drips go downwards into a try where it won't matter. They'll be on shelf runners so can slide out, allowing me to transfer the paper (hopefully) without buckling. Weight won't be a problem, as even 2 litres of chemistry only weighs in at 2 kilos. Tray not much, paper negligible. Some of our kitchen drawers are full of pots and frying pans weighting far more.
A little bit of a pain to build, but within my ability I think.
I also process 5x4 film in trays, but reckon I'll have just enough free bench space to have three 10x8 trays side by side for film processing.
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:41 AM
Friend

And in case anyone else needs something similar to what Skellum is going to make, may I re-suggest what I've seen some people in youtube videos use. The one linked has a good number of drawers but I believe they are available from three drawers up. And if you have a chilly darkroom an aquarium heater could easily be put in the developer at least:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sundis-Orga...448247&sr=8-12

Terry S
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:11 PM
Friend

Quality filing cabinets have counterbalancing weights that slide to the back of the cabinet when the drawers are pulled out.
It stops the cabinet toppling forward when the full drawers are opened.

Cheers.
Old 23rd June 2021, 04:34 PM
Friend

Yes indeed Nat. A few years back Ikea faced a law suit after a couple of children were actually killed by toppling drawer units. The children had climbed up onto an open drawer (like a ladder} and overbalanced the furniture.
My tray ladder will be fixed to the wall, leaving a space as a tray store underneath.
Old 24th June 2021, 10:22 AM
Friend

Default monster dishes

Long ago I standardised on 12 x 16" (A3) for my darkroom but someone asked for a 20 x 24" print of one image - flattering!
The enlarger coped (just) but dishes? A contributor to a website (might have been FADU?) suggested stout cardboard lined with heavy bin-liner bag. Washed the prints in the bath. Worked a treat. Minimal expense, happy customer...
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:54 PM
Friend

For those who took the time to respond, my darkroom is now almost complete. The wet bench is able to handle 3 10x8 trays side-by-side for either small prints or sheet film processing. Bigger trays, up to 20x16 trays will be 'laddered'. I did (eventually) realise I only needed 2 sliding drawers: Dev on top, then stop, with fix on the bottom. Rather than have a water holding tray I'll transfer directly to the sink. It made the ladder easier to build, and I sourced some 500mm long drawer runners so the trays will pull out a good distance. That should mean less risk or damaging prints as they move down from one level to the next.

Might just be ready for the next print exchange!
Old 3rd August 2021, 04:19 AM
Friend

I have three 30x40 cm² tray side by side, because I often print this size. I have two larger trays available, but I mostly use only one of them: I put the paper in, dump the dev from the 30x40 tray in, dump it back, dump the water in and so on.

It is valuable to have a comfortable system for the sizes often printed.
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:41 AM
Friend

I have been printing nothing but RC for more than two years after using FB for everything.

Just like Skellum, my prints are never going to be collected up by the V&A for their collection.

I decided that unless I was printing something exceptional, the time, effort and handling difficulties just were not worth it with FB.

I'm not a huge fan of the very shiny surface of RC Gloss but I really appreciate the dimensional stability of the prints.

It makes masking prints on the easel a much more realistic possibility that even I can do it.

I've never had the finesse to mask negatives.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies