Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th December 2009, 09:53 AM
Friend

Default What size tray?

In the new year I want to have ago at printing 20x24.. What size tray should I be looking for? Any ideas where I may get a set ? I usually use a tray the next size up from the paper that I am printing. For paper 12 x 16 I would use 16 x 20..

Thanks

Andy
Old 14th December 2009, 12:30 PM
Friend

A good place to start is Silverprint.there is a link on links page or the add that apears at the top of the page.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 14th December 2009, 01:25 PM
Friend

Whilst I agree that using a tray one size up from the paper size is good practice, once you get to 24" you could be forgiven for passing up that luxury. The general reason for using a larger tray is that it is easier to get the paper out without damage. The problem with the big trays is manhandling them when full, fine if they are in a sink and you just have to up end them to empty, but if you have to carry them - well it gets interesting.

As for finding a set? You could put an ask in our Sales and Wanted, you never know, someone may have a spare set, or try one our sponsors, who I'm sure can get them for you.

Apart from the practicalities, good luck with the biggies.
Old 14th December 2009, 01:50 PM
Friend

Try Firstcall photographic, they keep a large range of darkroom stuff in stock, I go with Dave about sizes, 20x24 trayscan be fun,Richarde
Old 14th December 2009, 07:03 PM
Friend

They do get expensive at that size. If you were using them at all times then OK but if it was the occasional use you might want to look at things like animal litter trays or trays from a garden centre. Big plastic trays must be used in other applications

Mike
Old 15th December 2009, 05:39 PM
Friend

Ag Photographic are the most competative for price (I am looking for some too)

There is a price for individual trays as well as sets of 3.

A word of advice to the wise - buy some rubber gloves if you are going to print this large and use them to get your hands into the trays with the print - wet sheets of paper this large are really floppy and a nightmare to handle with tongs.

I don't have room for more than 3 trays of this size in my darkroom so after the first fix, all the other stages are going to be done in the kitchen

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies