Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th November 2010, 11:45 AM
Friend

Default Workshop Manual

I recently unearthed a workshop manual I had bought many years ago for the Zenit B and E cameras. I wouldn't mind scanning pages if there's anyone out there who, like me, would try to repair an old Zenit rather than just scrap it.
I'm sure that they were the first SLR for many FADU people, so maybe many are still in use. They are wonderfully robust and reliable, but I did have to fix my first one after 18 years of use. I have since acquired more, all of them for practically nothing, and they all get used occasionally. Many of the later versions have a lot in common with the B and E.
Anyway, what I wanted to know is, would I be infringing any copyright by scanning pages if anybody wanted the information? T.O.E. is long defunct and I don't know if any copyright died with them. Is anyone knowledgeable enough in these matters to answer this question?
Old 30th November 2010, 05:08 PM
Friend

I am not a lawyer but it sounds like you are describing an Orphan Work where the legal situation is entirely unclear. It seems libraries and the like live in fear of a copyright owner suddenly re-appearing.

That said, I have a Zenit E that could do with some attention to the shutter and my attempts to take it apart failed at a very early stage, so any hints would be gratefully received.
Old 30th November 2010, 05:25 PM
Friend

I'm not a lawyer either but Butkus seems to have a load of manuals and doesn't seem to have any problems apart from people downloading them and using them on their own site. Don't know whether the old 'it's for educational purposes' still stands. You're not planning on making money and if anyone did take objection they'd probably send you a letter asking you to stop.

Tony
Old 30th November 2010, 05:30 PM
Friend

Zenith E the first camera I owned and a fantastic tool to learn the technicalities of exposure and being methodical in ones approach, having to stop down manually before every shot (unless you were wide open on the aperture of course)

Neil
Old 30th November 2010, 07:48 PM
Friend

I can well remember the way some members of a photo club I attended nearly 4 decades ago looked at me when I used my Zenit B. A fellow who used a Fed was looked upon the same way. I have always thought that a lot of people underestimated the results that these cheap cameras were capable of if used properly.
I haven't looked to see if there is a reference section on this site to which I could upload the information for anyone who might want it.
Old 1st December 2010, 09:54 AM
Friend

I don't think there is a any copyright issues with old manuals for obsolete equipment. Especially if there is no money changing hands and they are, after all, being used for the purpose intended.
The easiest thing to do would be to save it to your own space and provide a link here. Once it's out there though there are people who will try and sell it so you should mark it like 'Butkus' does.
It would be nice to have some sort of repository here though.
Old 1st December 2010, 10:51 AM
Friend

I have created a pdf of about 1.5MB of the relevant pages. I'll send it to anyone who wants it.
Old 2nd August 2011, 04:57 PM
Friend

I have the workshop manuals for all my cameras, but the more I study them the less I feel inclined to try and service them, and I was an apprentice trained precision engineer, in fact when I look at the manual for my Canon T90 I think I would rather perform an appendectomy on one of my children.

Last edited by Ben Myerson; 2nd August 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:01 PM
Friend

There's probably a manual avilable somewhere for that too!
Does anybody know of a manual for the Praktica MTL50 by the way?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies