Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th May 2012, 05:21 PM
Friend

Default Durst multigraph manual

I now have a copy of the original Durst Multigraph manual if anyone needs it. It contains details on paper filtration values for Kentmere, Ilford, Kodak, Tetanol, Seagull etc. It also has info on error messages. The one I have is for the Durst 1200, but the principles work on any Multigraph head. I gather than the modern version of Ilford Multigrade FB is not the same as the original - but I may be wrong. Perhaps a FADU member can enlighten me about what filtration setting I should now be using, or indeed if the old ones still work well.

Best wishes.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:42 AM
Friend

The PDF doc you gave a link to was created in 2002 and contains certificate dates of 1998. The ilford filtration standards were changed in 1994 (thereabouts) to include the 00 very soft contrast setting for Multograde IV and the manual includes values for 00. Therefore I think the manual should be close if not spot on for current MGIV papers.

see following for timeline of MG papers.

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Il...ultigrade.html
Old 18th May 2012, 04:55 AM
Friend

If you want to check/change calibration then I would suggest printing a step wedge using a recent set of Ilford MG filters (under or over the lens). Start with grade 00 as that will get you a time that works for all the other grades. Then repeat the printing using the multigraph filters and compare each grade against the MG filter prints. They should be the same. If not tweak your paper channels accordingly and retest the multigraph prints. Repeat until they match the MG filter prints.

This also applies if you have an older multigraph head which doesn't have grade 00. Just forget about grade 00 and test grades 0 thru 5.

grade 00 is so soft that I don't think I have ever used it.
Old 18th May 2012, 08:12 AM
Friend

Excellent advice Argentum. Thank you very much indeed.
Posts like yours demonstrate what a wonderful resource forums like FADU are. I can remember a time when no photographer would tell you a thing. Indeed they regarded secrecy as a principle of trade - hardly the most helpful stance. Now, no mater where you are in the world, expert advice is only as far away as the nearest computer keyboard. We do indeed have a strong community.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies