Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th May 2011, 06:02 PM
Friend

Default the best 35 without batteries

If any of you - without thinking of the budget - should buy the best of the best 35mm camera purely mechanical, ie. no batteries, which one would you select?
I'm already biased towards a Leica III f or g, but not sure since never had it in my hands.
peter
Old 10th May 2011, 06:17 PM
Friend

the camera I have owned the longest and still works as good as when new Is my much loved NIKON F2
Old 10th May 2011, 06:25 PM
Friend

Werra 3 complete with set of lenses, or perhaps a Retina IIC or IIIc complete with lenses, or Agfa Ambi Sillette, again with Lenses, I have and use the Werra, with lenses, and a Retina IIC, but still looking for the Shenider lenses for it,
Richard
Old 10th May 2011, 06:40 PM
Friend

Peter, for over 20 years I have always used a Leica M2 and thought this to be the best of the Leica range. I sometimes also use a Leica II as I admire its simplicity in design and function. However, several years ago I bit the financial bullet and I bought a IIIg to try and understand why it is so highly priced. I was not disappointed, as it has to be the most compact Leica with a viewfinder as precisely marked out as any in the M series and is a tactile joy to handle and use. The only other camera which I would still like to try is a Reid and Sigrist, but my wife may not understand.
Old 10th May 2011, 06:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlg View Post
If any of you - without thinking of the budget - should buy the best of the best 35mm camera purely mechanical, ie. no batteries, which one would you select?
I'm already biased towards a Leica III f or g, but not sure since never had it in my hands.
peter
Peter,

Best for what ?? Travel, street work, sports, landscape, macro work, sticking in your pocket when you don't want to carry a bag etc, etc.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 10th May 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11th May 2011, 08:00 AM
Friend

Neil has a point - different horses for different courses!
I have been looking for a camera that didn't wear a rut in my shoulder as my Nikon F2 does (it has also developed a shutter fault and the LEDs in the Photomic head are playing up), so I went through the Leica lust and longing thing recently, and could I have afforded it would have gone for either an M4-P or a IIIf. But I couldn't even sniff at the prices . . . so, in the end, I ended up with a Pentax MX with a SMC-M 50mm 1.4. It's all mechanical, incredibly small (smaller than a Canon P rangefinder!) and very light with a solid feel to it . . it does take batteries though . . .for the light meter!
Phil
Old 11th May 2011, 09:14 AM
Friend

Olympus Trip? Not a bad camera for a fiver.
Old 11th May 2011, 05:09 PM
Friend

thanks for your replies, and - yes, Neil has a point; we all have different habits and interests, and what suits one does not necessarily suit the other.
I did not have any specific use in mind and this probably because I'm of the amateurish photographer type who believes the good camera can do all sorts of photos - if the photographer is able. So what I'm looking for is the general purpose, all-round camera I can stick in my pocket (!) knowing that I'll never be let down by a tired battery.
Peter
Old 11th May 2011, 05:20 PM
Friend

Peter,

I'd go with a Pentax MX. A sensible SLR, very small and light, and the best viewfinder i've ever seen on a 35mm camera (honest, better than my canon 1d series dslrs which are themselves very good). Very easy to manually focus. Yes, it does take a battery, but the battery is only used for the light meter, and the camera works perfectly well without. The meter is accurate though, and gives a centre weighted pattern.

The shutter is fabric, so like the leicas it isn't going to suffer damage over time from fingers. You get the speed and aperture visible through the viewfinder, and you even get DOF preview (by flicking the timer control the other way, i owned one for years without knowing this). The pentax lenses for this camera are excellent. The 50/1.7 is cheap and lovely. There are nice wider lenses, a 28/3.5 and 35/2 which i've owned. I believe the 85/2 was excellent too, but i've never owned one.

Downside? The max speed is 1/1000th which may mean you need ND filters depending on how you shoot. The other downside is you'll realise that an all metal bodied 1970s camera is better than most other cameras made since and wonder what happened in the last 40 years.

If you want more modern funkier features, and a dependence on a battery, the me super is, well, super as well. For me though the MX was the best and i've still got mine (with 50/1.7)

Cesare
Old 11th May 2011, 06:30 PM
Friend

Another suggestion in the 'battery for lightmeter only' category is the Olympus RC, small but sturdy with a superb lens and excellent handling.

Steve

PS - fits in a big pocket too

Tags
35mm, camera, choise, mechanical
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies