Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th July 2011, 05:35 AM
Friend

Welcome Greg enjoy the darkroom journey I did, I found answers to my questions here and there are plenty of examples of darkrooms to browse through and friends experiences to learn from.
Richard
Old 19th July 2011, 05:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGreg View Post
You are all from the planet Earth arn't you??!
Some of us are even from Texas!

Welcome to FADU and to the darkroom.
Old 19th July 2011, 07:27 PM
Friend

Wink

That's one of the best introductions I've seen, welcome, I film cameras and the other type, film is best, and my preference.

Good luck with the darkroom.

http://graemestarkphotography.blogspot.com/
Old 19th July 2011, 11:14 PM
Friend

Hi Greg & Welcome!

So far I've ruined one keyboard (it was a Dell PC, not a laptop, thank goodness!) spilling a glass of wine. Lucky for me that it hasn't taken place on one of my MacBook computers!

Film is still a wonderful experience for me. It's just not a part of my business anymore. I have a film scanner and haven't hooked it up to one of my I-Macs yet but I'm going to and will start scanning film that goes back to the 1960's that I've made photos.

I'm trying to get into retirement mode. Then I will have more time to dedicate to film and show some photographs here. Try not to laugh too hard when I do show off my stuff! Ha!

The folks here want to help each other and I enjoy the people here. They are a lot like the people in Toastmasters I know, always giving positive feedback and also a recommendation or two on how to do better the next time. It makes me enthused to read comments here.

Welcome and I hope you learn, help and enjoy each visit here.
Old 20th July 2011, 11:25 PM
Friend

Hi Greg

Welcome!

Best of luck with getting to grips with a Fortress of Darkitude. Enjoy thinking about your photograph, the positive anticipation of the negative, battling with optimum time and temperature, the thrill of lifting the film spiral out of the wash water and uncurling just a little bit and discovering you've got an image on there (although you may not be sure what it is - it's an achievement!).

Then there's printing - I've yet to find any darkroom worker who doesn't get a tingle when the image comes through in the developer tray - or maybe I should check the earthing connections in my darkroom...

Really liked your introduction - you won't get stuck for help with the members on this forum. There's years of experience in making mistakes here - don't wait to make them all yourself - shout for help anytime.

Best regards

EddieB
Old 22nd July 2011, 01:24 PM
Friend

Greg, loved your intro story.

You trembled holding your OM-10, for me it's a beat up OM-1. Having never shot any film cameras *ever* and was bored to tears with digital at that point.

Adopting film photography has the funny effect of rejuvenating the romance of photography and once you've gotten to the printing part, it's *magic*

Now, even digital can be fun again.

Another common point between us is the anticipation of a new darkroom. Please take lots of pics of you building yours and post it here.
Old 22nd July 2011, 08:35 PM
Friend

Evening all, been a bit 'off air' mainly because I mashed both of my computers but also because I knackered my back by falling backwards onto a house brick Monday evening. The brick firmly planted itself in my lower right back - well away from the spine, thank God - so I was left with just massive aches and stiffness. As I had just started to fit the roof to the new darkroom at that point, I had to continue and got just enough supports in to leave it to the elements.

Didn't do anything on the darkroom for 2 whole days for some reason! Cautiously ventured back yesterday on low-risk work and am working at about 55% pace - it'll be a few days before my back is back!.

Anyway, before I caught up with these warm comments, I thought that I must photograph the construction (now that there is a 'shell' to see). A key point is insulation - to prevent overheat in summer and freeze in winter. I've settled for a wooden clad structure with a plastic membrane under the cladding to stop the creepies. There is then 7 inches of insulation before an inner thick layer of MDF panelling! When I 'designed' it, I didn't really realize just how thick that looks!. It's in the ceiling and one wall - with the rest to follow. Took a picture of that bit - showing the deep insulation within the wood structure.

Trouble is - can't find my USB lead to load the pickies! Need some sleep - oh! my aching back. Still, I can watch the rain run OFF the roof of the darkroom and not down the inner sides. Progress.....
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:55 PM
Friend

Heartfelt comiserations-sore backs is something I can deeply empathise with......ow.
Old 23rd July 2011, 07:03 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGreg View Post
Evening all, been a bit 'off air' mainly because I mashed both of my computers but also because I knackered my back by falling backwards onto a house brick Monday evening. The brick firmly planted itself in my lower right back - well away from the spine, thank God - so I was left with just massive aches and stiffness. As I had just started to fit the roof to the new darkroom at that point, I had to continue and got just enough supports in to leave it to the elements.

Didn't do anything on the darkroom for 2 whole days for some reason! Cautiously ventured back yesterday on low-risk work and am working at about 55% pace - it'll be a few days before my back is back!.

Anyway, before I caught up with these warm comments, I thought that I must photograph the construction (now that there is a 'shell' to see). A key point is insulation - to prevent overheat in summer and freeze in winter. I've settled for a wooden clad structure with a plastic membrane under the cladding to stop the creepies. There is then 7 inches of insulation before an inner thick layer of MDF panelling! When I 'designed' it, I didn't really realize just how thick that looks!. It's in the ceiling and one wall - with the rest to follow. Took a picture of that bit - showing the deep insulation within the wood structure.

Trouble is - can't find my USB lead to load the pickies! Need some sleep - oh! my aching back. Still, I can watch the rain run OFF the roof of the darkroom and not down the inner sides. Progress.....
Sympathy too. What type of insulation material are you using?
Old 23rd July 2011, 07:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Any 'insider' tips on the layout for a 1.9m x 3.0m room as a darkroom?
Don't make the mistake that I made and place the enlarger under the low part of the roof. Make sure you position the enlarger column where you have the max. headroom and keep the bench low even if you don't need the headroom with your current enlarger, chances are you will end up with one that will.

Tony

Tags
b&w, darkroom, experts, film
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies