Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th April 2013, 12:24 PM
Friend

Default Hello From Guernsey

Opps, I've posted a couple of times already

So Hi there.

I'm returning to the world of developing and hope to be printing again by the end of the year.

I've never really left film behind having had a 5x4 camera and a folder since 1994, I sold the 5x4 in 2006 but have intermittently used a 120 folder since then.

Right this minute I'm looking for some help on fixing time for B&W film and have posted in the right bit about that.

I hope to take part in print swaps etc. in due course.
Old 13th April 2013, 01:07 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, Tim!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 13th April 2013, 01:33 PM
Friend

Welcome Tim. You have an experienced user on Jersey called Richard Gould who is probably much closer to you than any experienced user is to me on the U.K. mainland - just a pity about the water between you.

Mike
Old 13th April 2013, 01:56 PM
Friend

Excellent.

I should probably say something about my level of experience, which can best be described as rusty and tell you all a little about my photography.

I built my first dark room in my parents loft in 1986 when I was 17 and used that for 35mm work from an SLR until I went to University in 1989 to study architecture. They had great dark rooms there and I continued using them until I graduated in 1992. I then built a dark room in a studio in Shepherds bush, where I practiced as an architectural photographer and immersed myself in large format. I kept my head above water commercially and hugely enjoyed both the large format and the rigour of practicing professionally. Late 94 I returned to my architectural studies and carried on using 5x4 on my course and working collaboratively with a fine artist... During that time I taught B&W printing to degree students part time and enjoyed the use of the dark room at the University of North London architecture Department.
I moved to guernsey in 1997 having met a Guernsey girl in London and worked in architecture, qualifying as an architect in 1999. I've done a lot less photography since moving here and have enjoyed marrying that girl and have three young boys and my own business.

For the past two years I have been involved in assisting my friend Jean Christophe Godet in the curation of the Guernsey Photography festival, providing design support, securing locations and designing the external exhibits. This has been hugely exciting and meeting the characters exhibiting and lecturing at the festival has reignited my passion for the medium.
I have just bought myself a Franka Solida III folding 6x6 to replace one I customised beyond normal use... and started using that to document an architectural project of ours in London that has just begun on site. I'm also working on a photographic journey project which I won't go into yet.
Old 13th April 2013, 02:26 PM
Friend

Hi Tim and welcome to Fadu, from just across the water in Jersey, I also have a Franka solida,in my case the IIr, among my growing collection of folders, both 120 and 35mm, which I prefer to use to any ''modern'' cameras, Nice to have another Channel Islander here, we are the only 2.so far.
Richard
Old 13th April 2013, 05:53 PM
Friend

Hi Richard
Good to hear there's more film users about. There must be plenty more hidden away. The grammar school here has a superb and well maintained wet dark room.
I don't get to Jersey often, I'm in London weekly at the moment and using the subject matter on those trips to get into a two roll a week routine.
If you're ever looking to dispose of a folder I'd either buy or PX my solida III for a 6x9 with similar quality lens.
Old 13th April 2013, 07:06 PM
Friend

Hello Tim.

With all that experience, I'm sure it won't take you long to get back into the swing of things.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 13th April 2013, 08:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Nice to have another Channel Islander here, we are the only 2.so far.
Richard
I could get some tugboats to tow my island down to yours!

Steve.
Old 13th April 2013, 10:41 PM
Friend

Yeah just don't bring the government
Old 14th April 2013, 07:01 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolmes View Post
Hi Richard
Good to hear there's more film users about. There must be plenty more hidden away. The grammar school here has a superb and well maintained wet dark room.
I don't get to Jersey often, I'm in London weekly at the moment and using the subject matter on those trips to get into a two roll a week routine.
If you're ever looking to dispose of a folder I'd either buy or PX my solida III for a 6x9 with similar quality lens.
I meet a few out and about over here, including a few younger ones, it's amazing when you are around with a folder, or a Rolleiflex/rolleicord ( I also have one of each) how many folk want to talk to you, sorry, I don't have a folder to lose, I use them all, and collect and use working classic cameras, the only 6/9 folder I have is an ensign 820 and that will never leave my collection,
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies