Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th April 2017, 05:17 PM
Friend

Jerry -- I just read a few posts about Liquidol over on APUG. Sounds like great stuff. Everyone who's used it was very keen about it's image quality -- cool tones, deep blacks, clean whites; ticking all my boxes here -- as well as it's tray and stock life. I'm looking forward to trying it. Thanks for the head's up on this.

Svend
Old 19th April 2017, 09:01 AM
Friend

I once operated a phototypesetting machine called StarSettograph (or was it StarLettograph?) which had fonts on a long acrylic 'negative'. It used special paper, presoaked in a special developer, and the projected character appeared within a few seconds. Not only was the paper/developer combination very quick, but the developer kept for days in a dish. The developer, sold in powder form, was expensive and distribution was unreliable, so I tried various other developers. The worst problem was staining and low contrast next day.
Long dish life is not a commercial requirement nowadays. If anyone knows of a solution to the problem, contribute it here!
Old 19th April 2017, 03:22 PM
Friend

Moersch 482 a neutral tone paper dev. available from Wolfgang Moersch.de Advertised as "State of the art"
Or Macodirect.de & Silverprint.co.uk London
Regards, Hughes LRPS
Old 19th April 2017, 03:36 PM
Friend

Svend- I did neglect to mention that Liquidol does start to bring up an image rather quickly, so if you're using Factorial Development be ready for a surprise. I didn't use it for my step wedge tests, so I never checked the timing but I'd guess it's about 10-15 seconds with fresh developer.

Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 19th April 2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 19th April 2017, 08:45 PM
Friend

Hey Jerry, thanks for the tip on that. Good to know. Sounds like this stuff is turbo-charged. If I see smoke coming from the tray when I slip a sheet in, I shouldn't be surprised.

Hughes -- is it 4812 you mean? I didn't see 482 on his site. In any case I don't think I can get that particular Moersch developer here in Canada; only his lith stuff. In the US, Freestyle carries 4812, but it's very pricey at US$47/litre...about C$63. But thanks for the recommendation; perhaps someone on your side of the Atlantic will benefit. It sounds like good stuff -- the write-up speaks of VERY long stock and working sol'n life - 8 months for the latter! Nice!

Best,
Svend
Old 21st April 2017, 05:46 PM
Friend

Svend- Another tip: My spot check wedge tests developed for 60 seconds in 1+9 (suggested by Formulary) showed that the max density only reached 1.9, but 3-minutes reached 2.1 without toning. So when I begin making REAL prints I plan to slip in a few more wedge prints to find the minimum develop time that reaches 2.1. Just thought you should know when you begin working with Liquidol.

Incidentally, I reported my test result comparing overheated dev with fresh dev to Ron M. to update him and also told him about the 60s vs 3m results. He was happy to get that info, and he volunteered this comment: "I know that when it is going bad, increasing development times brings the image back almost to normal."

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 21st April 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 21st April 2017, 09:35 PM
Friend

Hi Jerry,
Thanks again for another tip! Much appreciated. Sounds like this developer allows some latitude in the tray -- good density results at 1 min.; even more density at 3 min., if needed, without totally mucking things up.

I get the impression you're pretty stoked to have found this developer, and with the initial results you're getting from it.

As a general comment, I find it great that new products like Liquidol and the Moersch 4812 are being brought to market nowadays. And especially great that they seem to be tailored to how a lot of people work with them now...that is, like myself, multiple occasional printing sessions over a week or two, a few of hours at a time, working around a busy home life and career. Beats dumping a batch of Dektol or Bromophen after only a few prints.

Regards, and wishing you a good weekend!
Svend
Old 24th April 2017, 12:32 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post

Ian -- from some comments I've read about tray life of ID-78, it sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, except for the warm tones. So if ID-62 is as long lasting and gives neutral tones, then it might be ideal. And I'm pretty sure I have all the ingredients on hand to mix up a batch. This will be a good starting point to see how it performs image-wise and how it lasts.
Best,
Svend
It does appear that Liquidol is the answer.

However, I use ID-78 in a Nova slot processor and have found the warm tone to be very subtle indeed. It obviously depends on the paper though. I'm using MGIV at the moment.
Old 24th April 2017, 06:31 AM
Friend

Default Dilution and development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Thanks for the link. RC paper's development time is very short at 30-45 secs which suggests this is strong stuff and capable of further dilution but no mention at all of this as an option.

I can only assume that some users have experimented with dilutions instead of stock and arrived at a satisfactory print but this is just an assumption on my part

Mike
I normally dilute Multigrade 1 to 12 instead of 1 to 9. I have tried 1 to 15 but the resulting development even extended to 2 mins did not produce a good dense black. Even at 1 to 12, I extend the development to 1 minute or even slightly longer for resin coated. For fibre never less than 2.5 mins

A mentor of mine, many, many years ago said "So long as the development does not cause staining there is nothing to be lost by extending the development. You pay for the silver content, so use it".
Old 24th April 2017, 01:21 PM
Friend

Stocky -- thanks for the insight. That's good to know. I might have mentioned that I'm not really a big fan of very warm tone prints, preferring to print neutral and then toning afterwards if needed. But very subtle warmth in a print is very nice indeed -- no aversion to that at all -- so ID-78 might be a good choice with the right paper. The good thing about these formulas is their flexibility -- as per Ian's suggestion on his website, mix up a batch of neutral-tone base stock, then tweak it to make ID-78 or ID-62 just before printing to suit the images. I'm not sure that's possible with Liquidol or Ethol LPD -- I will have to try adding some carbonate or bromide to each in a tray and see what happens.

At some point I intend to experiment with all four of these and then decide which works best for me.

Quote:
"So long as the development does not cause staining there is nothing to be lost by extending the development. You pay for the silver content, so use it".
Great quote, John. I like it!

Best,
Svend
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies