Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd May 2011, 09:36 AM
Friend

Default ETRS film back problem

Hi guys, I just finished a roll off on my Bronica. I had been swapping between a few backs, however on one of the rolls, there was two missing frames. Its as if as I was winding on they had jumped. The other two rolls from the other backs all came back fine. Any ideas why one might be playing up?
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:50 AM
Friend

Could the shutter have been accidentally fired whilst the back was attached to the body in your camera bag with the lens cap on ? Other than that I would suspect a wind on fault.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:00 PM
Friend

With my SQ if using a cable release which gets stuck in the locked position the shutter will fire as soon as you wind on.
Old 2nd May 2011, 01:32 PM
Friend

If you know what back it was that you had a problem with why not try it with a B/W film and see what happens ? if it happens again with that back then you would know it is the back at fault,if it happens radomly with other backs you have a winding problem with the camera body,
Richard
Old 2nd May 2011, 02:12 PM
Friend

I sometimes get the same problem, usually when I am doing test shots or just taking shots just for fun. It's annoying because as it happens when I am not taking anything serious, I haven't been paying attention and can't pinpoint what caused it. The options are leaving the darkslide in, winder problem, or tripping the shutter by accident. It usually leaves me thinking have I developed a problem, but when I take care on shooting if it is important, I don't tend to get it.

Neil
Old 2nd May 2011, 03:47 PM
Friend

I have a feeling it is the back itself. the other backs I use dont skip frames, Ill keep an eye on the frame counter when Im swapping. Other than that I dont know what else I can do!
Old 2nd May 2011, 03:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Could the shutter have been accidentally fired whilst the back was attached to the body in your camera bag with the lens cap on ? Other than that I would suspect a wind on fault.

Neil.
the shutter wont fire if the darkslide is in. thats what leads me to believe its the back rather than the camera.
Old 2nd May 2011, 04:00 PM
Friend

Have you checked the little cogged wheel to see if any teeth are missing or the wheel on the camera is sprunge it may be sticking.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 4th May 2011, 04:47 AM
Friend

The theory with most interchangeable backs is that when the darkslide is pushed fully in, the back can be removed and the shutter will not fire.
It is not unknown for ETR backs to give the visual impression that the slide is fully in but the back can still be removed and the shutter fired (the error is less than a mm). When these cameras were commonly used by wedding photographers, many was the photographer who shot a whole roll with the darkslide in - result completely blank film.
This happened because most shooters usually carried a few pre-loaded backs that they could quickly exchange. For an inexperienced user of the camera, it only took a minor distraction to forget to pull out a darkslide that was not fully pushed in and blanks would result until the error was noticed. Of course if the slide were fully in, the shutter would not fire and the oversight would be discovered before any shots were taken.
Needless to say not too many kept making the same mistake and most operators of interchangeable-back cameras quickly get into the habit of pulling the darkslide out almost in the same action as clicking the back in place. I have no idea if the problem affected all incarnations of the ETR or other Bronicas but I had (still have) 5 backs in both 120 and 220 and 2 ETRSi bodies and all are capable of producing the effect.
John M
Old 4th May 2011, 02:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
The theory with most interchangeable backs is that when the darkslide is pushed fully in, the back can be removed and the shutter will not fire.
It is not unknown for ETR backs to give the visual impression that the slide is fully in but the back can still be removed and the shutter fired (the error is less than a mm). When these cameras were commonly used by wedding photographers, many was the photographer who shot a whole roll with the darkslide in - result completely blank film.
This happened because most shooters usually carried a few pre-loaded backs that they could quickly exchange. For an inexperienced user of the camera, it only took a minor distraction to forget to pull out a darkslide that was not fully pushed in and blanks would result until the error was noticed. Of course if the slide were fully in, the shutter would not fire and the oversight would be discovered before any shots were taken.
Needless to say not too many kept making the same mistake and most operators of interchangeable-back cameras quickly get into the habit of pulling the darkslide out almost in the same action as clicking the back in place. I have no idea if the problem affected all incarnations of the ETR or other Bronicas but I had (still have) 5 backs in both 120 and 220 and 2 ETRSi bodies and all are capable of producing the effect.
John M
My ETRS will fire if the darkslide is in, it has been like that since I bought it. I have never looked into if this is an error or just because it is an older model You just have to be more careful when shooting. I shot most of my weddings with a TLR so no darkslide, but on the occasions I did shoot with the 6x4.5 I never forgot to remove the darkslide, its amazing how a wedding concentrates the mind even when there are distractions

Neil
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies