Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th February 2012, 01:35 PM
Friend

Default New (ish) photo archive in Devon

I thought someone here asked about the self proclaimed "National Camera Museum" at Bowden House just outside Totnes in Devon. May have been another forum I can't remember or find it here.
Well today I was in Totnes and discovered that there is a new(ish) photo archive of the area containing photos from almost as far back as they go. It is sited upstairs in the Tourist information centre Town Mill in Totnes about a hundred yards from the Seven Stars Hotel (and pub of course). The exhibition and archive are permanent and there were a few old plate cameras and some not so old cameras too. A mock up darkroom with very brief recorded talk. I thought it was for educating people with a view to taking up traditional photography but alas the recorded spiel suggested film was dead.
Anyhow I asked if the cameras were from the old museum up the road and was told that no, the old museum had closed and the owner took all the cameras with them up country somewhere.
The current archive is growing rapidly and being digitised. Currently you can do searches on some 45000 images of the area. Tuesdays and Fridays at the centre.

If you happen to be in the area then its worth a quick look but not worth going too far out of your way unless you have a special interest in the history of the area.
Old 9th February 2012, 02:20 PM
Friend

Sounds interesting, maybe you could nail a FADU poster to their darkroom door?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies