Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th September 2021, 09:28 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
What a disaster today has turned out to be.

First body managed 2 frames and second body managed 22 frames before they both died.

Who would believe that they could both die within about 5 minutes of each other.
Ian
What bad-luck, Ian. What are the chances of that happening?
Fortunately, you have the opportunity to go back and have another go!

Which camera's will you be taking from your arsenal second time round?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 14th September 2021, 12:37 PM
Friend

"Susceptible to a capacitor going...."

My brother used to repair vintage radios. He would test, and if necessary replace most of the capacitors in old wireless sets.
He told me, if they are not charged regularly they would lose their "shape."
The electrical performance goes to pot.
The same thing happens with flash guns.

It is a boring task but every few months I fit batteries to all of my cameras and flashguns, then try a few flashes or check out the metering systems etc.

It is a pain I know, but it's something to do on a rainy day when you cannot go out to play.

Cheers.
Old 14th September 2021, 04:01 PM
Friend

Failing capacitors are affecting a lot of older equipment. I have a good quality turntable that has problems with the speed control as a result of aging capacitors. The flash problem also comes down to capacitors. Apparently, they ‘dry out’.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th September 2021, 04:36 PM
Friend

Hi Ian, I'm sorry to read things didn't go well.

At one time I was very fond of the Kodak chromogenic film (CN400BW) but I've never tried XP2.

Sadly all electrolytic capacitors have a finite working life. I have replaced a great many of them on electronic control boards over the years.

I hope you get another chance to photograph the church.

Old 14th September 2021, 04:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
"Susceptible to a capacitor going...."

My brother used to repair vintage radios. He told me, if they are not charged regularly they would lose their "shape."

It is a boring task but every few months I fit batteries to all of my cameras and flashguns, then try a few flashes or check out the metering systems etc.

It is a pain I know, but it's something to do on a rainy day when you cannot go out to play.
Blimey! Learn something new each day.

It's been ages since some of my equipment have had the flash units used. As you say Nat, with more rainy days coming our way, I'll have to round everything up and do as you say.

Fingers heavily crossed this end!

Terry S

PS Sorry how it went a bit belly up Ian, but hopefully you have time to make another visit if you are inclined...?
Old 15th September 2021, 11:18 AM
Friend

It has been a known phenomena that flash guns need to be used every few months to keep them operational.

This applies to flashes on cameras, flash guns and studio flash heads.

6 months used to be the rule of thumb.

Martin
Old 15th September 2021, 01:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Which camera's will you be taking from your arsenal second time round?
Yes, we're all curious now . A good old reliable full-manual all-mechanical brick has it's merits

But sorry to hear of that failed outing Ian. How frustrating. I hope the church was empty when all the expletives were being shouted.
Old 15th September 2021, 02:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
What a disaster today has turned out to be.

Had two X300 bodies loaded and prepped with new batteries and cleaned, only for a total equipment failure to stop me in my tracks.

First body managed 2 frames and second body managed 22 frames before they both died.

Reckon it's the curse of the X300's striking again. I think they are susceptible to a capacitor going in the base of the camera which stops them from winding on / cocking the shutter, making the whole body a pretty good door stop.

Who would believe that they could both die within about 5 minutes of each other.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the film, think I'm going to have to rewind it and then reload into a different body, wind and shoot with lens cap on past last used frame and finish them up from that point.

Hey ho, that's life, could do with trimming down my camera collection, so that's two gone.

Ian
Sorry to hear about your camera problems Ian, it happens to the best of us. I would use a good old fashioned all manual camera next time, I have a couple of old Minolta srt101's that I love, and ideal forbthis type of job, built like a brick, no electronic's bar the meter, and I prefer my good old weston's with them, they will outlast any of my electronic cameras, better luck next time
Richard
Old 21st September 2021, 02:40 PM
Friend

Hi All, sorry for the late reply.

I'm not going to be able to get back before the church closes, so will have to try and salvage what I can from whatever I managed to get.

Have to agree that a non electronic / battery operated camera is the way to go, don't think as much as I loved my X range Minoltas I'll be buying any more.

Just need to find a MD fit camera that doesn't need a battery that I fancy.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies