Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th October 2020, 03:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyZ View Post
My first SLR was an Praktica MTL5b I bought new with the stock Pentacon 50mm lens when I started working (in the 80's) and I've recently been thinking about getting another just for fun!

From what I can remember it was built to stop a tank (I'm pretty sure that's what the Russians used it for?) but it was really solidly built and easy to use.

I can't remember what happened to mine, I may have given it away after I bought my Minolta X-9 from Dixons in the 90's (remember them!) My X-9 travelled the world with me and I still use it the most.
Although I love my Olympus OM10 with manual adapter and my Nikon FM2 which is a thing of beauty!

Anyway my son's been eyeing up my cameras so maybe I'll get him a Praktica for xmas after I've tested it thoroughly first

Tony Z
The bit you will not remember is the loud click of the shutter in compassion to you the smooth well bred FM2

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 12th October 2020, 06:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyZ View Post
My first SLR was an Praktica MTL5b I bought new with the stock Pentacon 50mm lens when I started working (in the 80's) and I've recently been thinking about getting another just for fun!

From what I can remember it was built to stop a tank (I'm pretty sure that's what the Russians used it for?) but it was really solidly built and easy to use.

I
Why would Russians use foreign cameras when they had Zenits to do the job?

Last edited by Miha; 12th October 2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12th October 2020, 08:42 PM
Friend

Default Quality Control

There was an article in one of the photo magazines many years ago, I think it was just before east and west Germany were re-united. It was about the factory where they made the likes of the Praktika

It had a good deal of text about the cameras they made and among the photographs accompanying the article was a woman in a quality control department wielding what looked like a 4lb brick hammer to destroy faulty bodies so they would not get into the production line.

A bit extreme but certainly efficient!

Tags
battery, foam mtl3, praktica
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies