Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st October 2020, 07:09 PM
Friend

Default X-ray film

I have just made another contact print from the x-ray film it was a overcast day and the sky came out like a foggy day but its not bad ,when we can have people around again I will take some outdoor portraits with it to see how they come out .underneath is a what I wrote earlier with all the times .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	3882

__________________________________________________ __________I have posted some prints on my albums a couple of 10x8 and some contact prints . The film is fujifilm industrial x-ray film 100 nif ,7x17inch x 100 , shot at 25 asa , developed in fotospeed FD10 1x20 for 8mins agitation every 30seconds ,In dip and dunk tanks under red light ,each tank holds 2000ml of chemical ,and I can dev 12 5x4 films at one go the two 10x8 prints were printed on to fotospeed RCVC glossy paper ,and the contacts were printed on to Ilford multigrade IV RC express PF paper ,its 10.2 x 152m and i have a roll and a half left so there is plenty to keep me going for a while ..I took some more pictures of my wife with flash ,that I think did not come out to bad ,but If I sheared them with you ,I would disappear and never be seen again .They are a bit boring but at lest I have worked out the asa dev time and dilution .. The only problem I had was the horses by the time I had focused on them put the film in and taken a light reading the little buggers would move ,and at 25ASA ,I would have had more luck photographing a snail .......................... Now the dental x-ray film I bought I have had no luck with It,it seems to have a metallic coating that wont let in light and will only come of in the fixer bath ,so next time i want to buy any green x-ray film I will just buy ordinary type ,so this film will go away until I can find a way to use it .I have found that the film can scratch / mark very easily when wet but when dry its as hard as nails .Please have a look at my albums and see what you think ,there are other prints there but the ones to see I have put the words x-ray film next to the comments .......
__________________________________________________ _______h
Old 21st October 2020, 09:56 PM
Friend

looking around I just saw this published on may 6 2019 ..

Today Eastman Kodak Company announced the introduction of the KODAK Industrial X-Ray Films and Chemicals for non-destructive testing (NDT). Film radiography is an NDT technique used to check internal integrity when inspecting parts and assemblies in the aerospace, oil, and automotive industries. The ruggedness and flexibility of film make it ideal for use in harsh conditions.
Old 24th October 2020, 08:51 PM
Friend

Just finished developing some more x-ray film ,But this time in my rollei 6003 ,and they look good ,trouble is I can only shoot one at the time then go In to my darkroom to reload each film ,I am looking forward to seeing how they enlarge and see the finished print . I will put some prints on here In the next couple of days .this X-ray film has been well worth buying its kept me busy and sane over a good part of this lock down ..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 26th October 2020, 05:05 PM
Friend

just added some more X-ray prints to my X-ray albums ,the quality of the finished print is not what I was after, It was just to cheek how the film works ,I even stuck some film in my rolleiflex 6003 and made some enlargements from them . until I get out and try to take some good photos , I will potter about In the confinement of my home ..
Old 28th October 2020, 01:45 PM
Friend

Well done on all this Paul.

Your end results have surprised me. For as I think I've said before, most x-ray work I have seen from others has been quite contrasty and lacking in tones. Yours seem to have a good range of tones and as you say, loading one negative at a time in your Rollei, along with an ISO of 25, will definitely slow you down a bit.

One question that comes to mind is, what type of lighting were your shots taken under? Was it sunny day or cloudy and diffused light etc.

Terry S
Old 30th October 2020, 08:59 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry they were mostly taken on a overcast dull day ,what I have found is if you increase the ASA from 25ASA say to 50ASA and increase the development times you will get more contrast . I bought a cut film back and some inserts for my Hasselblad's so I have been mucking around with that ,and getting some interesting results .I will have to make contact prints and some 10x8 enlargements In the next couple of days and post some on here ..
I must say I have been experimenting ,so I have been doing it the cheapest way ,but if I get a interesting negative I will spend time printing it onto fibre paper .....
Old 1st November 2020, 05:59 PM
Friend

just added on my albums page some more prints shot on x-ray film and printed on to Ilford paper .please have a look ....
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies