Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th June 2017, 08:45 AM
Friend

Default C-41 green negatives : (

I made my first foray into colour film processing this week, with a backlog of films to get through.

All went smoothly for five 35mm rolls using my Paterson tanks and relevant chemicals immersed in a bucket of 38 degree water (temperature very carefully monitored). However, at the end of the second session I then loaded up a roll of 120 film (Fuji pro400H) and it's mostly come out a rather attractive shade of green.

To be more specific; The actual images and edge markings look properly developed, but the background is green instead of orange. Confusingly, the problem is worst at the beginning of the roll, and tapers off to one edge at the end, so some images may just be usable.

Any idea what's going on here? - my guess is chemical contamination, so I'm currently cleaning all the equipment in the dishwasher(!)
Old 10th June 2017, 10:01 AM
Friend

Green is usually a sign of fogging but unless the edges are fogged there must be another reason, even chemical contamination would change the colour of the edges.... I have never come across this before.
Old 10th June 2017, 10:13 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Green is usually a sign of fogging but unless the edges are fogged there must be another reason, even chemical contamination would change the colour of the edges.... I have never come across this before.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 10th June 2017, 10:18 AM
Friend

Looking at the negs on a light panel, you are probably right about fogging, this is the beginning of the roll, and the green continues along one edge. Luckily nothing too important on this film

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 10th June 2017, 11:02 AM
Friend

We will settle on fogging then!
Old 13th June 2017, 04:00 PM
Friend

Default Problem solved

Thanks for your comments John, it definitely must have been fogging, I just processed another film in the same chemicals with normal results. I still have no idea how this happened, as the film appeared to be tightly rolled.
Old 13th June 2017, 05:07 PM
Friend

I just processed a very old 35mm colour film that has a green/dark brown look. My film has fogged because of old age and poor storage. Your film looks fogged through light exposure.
Old 13th June 2017, 07:03 PM
Friend

I ended up with light-fogged 120 as a result of a problem with the darkslide slot in a Bronica back. I (stupidly) left the camera in the back of my car, and several frames were affected. I think the light trap in the slot was worn.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13th June 2017, 09:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I ended up with light-fogged 120 as a result of a problem with the darkslide slot in a Bronica back. I (stupidly) left the camera in the back of my car, and several frames were affected. I think the light trap in the slot was worn.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting, I should check the back from my Mamiya 645 which this film came out of. I'd be surprised if the darkslide slot was worn though, as the camera is not old or much used.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies