Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th January 2019, 08:22 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhouselife View Post
Switches and resistors I recognise (there is no indicator lamp), there is a fuse case... Capacitor I guess/assume is the orange coloured cylindrical part on the PCB..?
I think the orange one is the smoothing capacitor for the power supply. I suspect the timing capacitor is the bright red shiny one on the middle of the left edge of the PCB as seen on the picture you posted originally.

Definitely try the cleaner first though.

Steve.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:05 PM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
I think the orange one is the smoothing capacitor for the power supply. I suspect the timing capacitor is the bright red shiny one on the middle of the left edge of the PCB as seen on the picture you posted originally.

Definitely try the cleaner first though.

Steve.

Cool
Old 11th January 2019, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Ah - it is a fuse rather than an indicator lamp - looks similar to a neon lamp from this angle...

If it wasn't for the screen-printed front panel I would have guessed home-made as it has a number of safety "features" I find worrying.

In addition to the bare conductor (which I could live with by adding some heat-shrink or other effective insulation) - even if far enough away from the case now, if it comes adrift it may drop onto the case.

Is there any insulation (or significant gap - say >10mm) under that pcb between the mains voltage going to the transformer and the metal case? Is the case earthed? Is the grommet gripping the mains cable tight enough so pulling on the cable does not pull on the connections?

The resistors appear to be connected in series so there will be only one timing capacitor -(I think I can read the chip as the ubiquitous NE555) so if the timing capacitor was the culprit, none of the ranges would work so it does look like the switches are the most likely culprits..

Last edited by Bob; 11th January 2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 23rd January 2019, 07:02 PM
longhouselife

Default Update

As an update, I tried the Servisol cleaner. Unfortunately to no effect. The 0.1 - 0.9 timer still works without a hitch, the 1 - 4 sec seems accurate 5 -9 secs work but with incremental increases in time - so not accurate 10 secs works but intermittently. Anything above 10 sec doesn't work.

I have very limited means, so will either have to improvise or wait it out for something to come along.

I've thought about building an Arduino based timer - again it has an expense that I can't really afford right now. I almost had a Phillips 2040 timer on flea-bay, but was outbid...

So..! What other methods could I feasibly use? 1: 1000 - 2:1000, Metronome, Kitchen Timer...? I don't use a mobile phone, so any kind of App is out of the question.
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:45 PM
Friend

I think there are quite cheap kitchen-type battery operated timers or similar which go down to tenths of seconds. The ideal ones have a built-in alarm for zero but in a darkroom for the purposes of printing the ones with larger figures can be read under safelight

Of course you'd have to manually switch off the enlarger but still perfectly doable. In the time taken for a print exposure there isn't a lot else you can do anyway so with your finger on the enlarger's off- switch you are good to go.

Until you have the means for a connected enlarger timer you'd easily get by with one of these

Mike
Old 24th January 2019, 09:07 AM
Friend

I have an old Jessops timer that I haven't used for a few years, it is a Paterson timer re branded for Fessops, it is very simple and seems to be working fine, at least it counts down from 10 seconds, if you PM mw your address you are welcome to it, Let me know if you want it and I will post it to you
Richard
Old 24th January 2019, 10:26 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhouselife View Post
I was fortunate to be gifted a darkroom setup just before christmas from a former photographer.

All seems good, however the enlarger timer is marginal.

0.1 - 0.9 secs working
1 - 2 secs working, 3 - 4 secs seem too long, 5 - 9 not working
10 - 99 not working.

I have no knowledge of electronics... Any suggestions, advice, help etc welcomed

I could repair it for you if you want to pack it and post it. Send me a PM.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:14 AM
longhouselife

JOReynolds - done.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:20 AM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I have an old Jessops timer that I haven't used for a few years, it is a Paterson timer re branded for Fessops, it is very simple and seems to be working fine, at least it counts down from 10 seconds, if you PM mw your address you are welcome to it, Let me know if you want it and I will post it to you
Richard
Sorry Richard, just saw your post prior to the last one.

I'm going to send my timer to JOReynolds and see if they can fix it. if that doesn't work out, I will be greatly appreciative of your offer.

Makes me feel like there is still some good old fashioned help available in the UK...
Old 27th January 2019, 04:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
It looks like Polysales (I think), or DeVere. I have a Rayco which has the dials horizontally and a toggle switch for power
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Rayco timer (and some of the Rayco timers badged De Vere) used a unijunction transistor - long obsolete and very difficult to find.

Tags
darkroom, timer enlarger
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies