Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th October 2013, 04:47 PM
Friend

Default Final Q - Who would like to sell their prints? Today.

I really hope you chaps will be behind me having spent a massive amount of time on this with you chaps in mind as the first port of call.

I have now completed a fully operational on-line sales platform (currently hidden from view) to sell exclusively, darkroom created silver gelatin prints only. No digital whatsoever.

Hand made only to be only printed by the photographer. IE Vintage.

If you would like to be considered to join in, sell your prints in the gallery and learn more about the project please PM me with your personal email address and telephone number.

Best wishes,

Marc
Old 14th October 2013, 06:55 PM
Friend

In some ways I'd be interested but I have reservations. There was quite a successful Contact Printers Guild not so many tears ago but it fell apart because of the poor work from some members.

Ian
Old 14th October 2013, 07:05 PM
Friend

Default Users have no access.

My thoughts exactly Ian which is why all prints have to be sent to me in the first place. I dont have built in access to "user accounts" I need a scan on CD and the actual signed print for sale. Here is the blub so far ( in edit )

Enjoy the wealth of creative photography offered here at X. Here you can purchase genuine silver gelatin photographic works for installations or investment collections and display. Because our photographic collections are from exclusively traditional film photographers with a proven passion for analogue photography and the very highest standards of reproduction, you can be assured of only exceptional work.
Our online galleries offer prints exclusively hand made using traditional wet darkroom printing techniques. Each print you buy is from a limited edition collection therefore numbered, and signed, by the photographer in person.
We only sell limited edition prints sourced directly from the photographer or photographers estate and only photographs that have been printed by the photographer in person to ensure only genuine vintage works are listed here at X.
Please take a moment to view the images. We hope you will be inspired and impressed.
Old 14th October 2013, 08:53 PM
Friend

I'd be interested at some unspecified future time, but as a complete and utter neophyte in darkroom matters (just made my first print maybe 2-3 months ago) I'm nowhere near ready to contribute alongside people who actually know what they're doing!
Old 14th October 2013, 09:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glover View Post
I'd be interested at some unspecified future time, but as a complete and utter neophyte in darkroom matters (just made my first print maybe 2-3 months ago) I'm nowhere near ready to contribute alongside people who actually know what they're doing!
You might be under-estimating your ability. If I see a good print then I couldn't care less how experienced the printer is. Some of your negs may make a good print without the need for burning, dodging, pre-flashing etc. You simply get the exposure correct with test strips and grade correct to represent how you envisaged the scene

However I am not sure how much it means to buyers whether they are buying hand produced limited edition silver gelatin prints nor am I sure that what they are willing to pay will represent a reasonable return to the printers but I am a "glass half full person"

Mike
Old 14th October 2013, 10:27 PM
Friend

Is there much of a market for 5x4" contact prints at the minute?
Old 14th October 2013, 10:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Is there much of a market for 5x4" contact prints at the minute?
I've done a couple of 5x4 contact (and carbon) prints that have been well received, so I'd say there is a (small) market for them.

Marc: I'll send you a PM at some point when normal life returns to this part of Norfolk.
Old 14th October 2013, 10:42 PM
Friend

Default Good

"nor am I sure that what they are willing to pay will represent a reasonable return to the printers but I am a "glass half full person"

Good. Then lets discuss it. So to keep things very simple lets set the sizes and numbers of prints per edition in stone in this round of talks. Lets not yet talk about paper types. I see we have 66 views in the space of an hour. So it would be nice if others chip in, if no action then I'll have no option but to take it to "the other forum" I am on a mission and it will require support.

10x8 is used a lot, as is 16x12

So, its an open table, what do YOU think is a reasonable price for a hand made item, but please, don't be no good low down yellow bellied sheep and look at the other posts to guess your reply. Be honest and answer the question in the following format please....

10x8 = £
16x12 -£
Max number of prints:
Old 14th October 2013, 11:01 PM
Friend

"The other forum"
Is there one?? Marc, I've been wondering what you were up to since you had a big gear clear out a while back.
Good Luck. Everyone here shares an interest in film and printing, and we're all busy putting our pictures away in boxes. How refreshingly gutsy to actually have a go at testing the value of silver photography by trying to sell the things.
Just so I understand, are you looking for photographers to supply archivally mounted prints ('cos I can't cut matts to save my life) or just prints??
Are you planning to act as a kind of intermediary, or actually hold the stock of prints and do the distribution?
I suspect many people reading this will be held back by lacking confidence in the desirability of their own images.
However, no Guts No Glory!
I'm game, on the basis that I like printing and the worst that can happen is I make some prints nobody wants. Hell I do that all the time anyway!
Old 14th October 2013, 11:16 PM
Friend

Exactly! - Prints in boxes is a criminal offence.

The concept is that I will do most of the work.

Each person to send ONE print and a good scan of it for upload to their very own named gallery.

(Hence the request to find out if anyone on here had any weight on-line to help push it or other methods of getting the word around to promote there own work and by virtue, everyone else's)

All prints will be mounted in a standard size. This will ease standardized postage and packing charges to the end user and I ( we ) can buy pre cut mounts including the plastic wraps in bulk when I have a total print count to start off with.

I'll deal with all telephone calls, hassles with returns, refunds, the whole thing.

Regarding people who are afraid of putting work on-line, well. They don't have to use a real name! Only I would know and anyway if the quality is poor it isn't going on-line anyway.

Regarding image theft the way I now see it has changed. People are going to steal my images and everyone else's. For sometime time I have had no work on display at all anywhere because of it so I thought about how to make it our advantage. I'll of course put a logo over the images online and I HOPE PEOPLE DO STEAL THEM. because of course part of the deal is, the images ( real ones ) will only ever exist on paper, as a silver gelatin print. How many online copies of Ansel Adams work can you find online? Pretty much all of it I expect, what great adverts!

There will be more questions and I hope further input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
"The other forum"
Is there one?? Marc, I've been wondering what you were up to since you had a big gear clear out a while back.
Good Luck. Everyone here shares an interest in film and printing, and we're all busy putting our pictures away in boxes. How refreshingly gutsy to actually have a go at testing the value of silver photography by trying to sell the things.
Just so I understand, are you looking for photographers to supply archivally mounted prints ('cos I can't cut matts to save my life) or just prints??
Are you planning to act as a kind of intermediary, or actually hold the stock of prints and do the distribution?
I suspect many people reading this will be held back by lacking confidence in the desirability of their own images.
However, no Guts No Glory!
I'm game, on the basis that I like printing and the worst that can happen is I make some prints nobody wants. Hell I do that all the time anyway!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies