Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Workshop News

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th February 2011, 09:36 AM
Friend

Default The Clock Tower

Hope I'm not stealing 'fellow friend' Carl Radford's thunder, but thought I'd mention this new venture by Tim Soar up in Cumbria - The Clock Tower (NB. Facebook Link - because they don't have a website yet).

Carl is running the first workshop on his wet collodion work at this rather exciting new workshop/gallery venture by Tim, one of the best architectural photographers in the UK (and yes, he still uses film...just not all the time!).
Carl also has a small exhibition to accompany the workshop.

No doubt we'll hear more next time he pops in here!
Old 8th March 2011, 04:02 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Hi Roy,

I've seen the Facebook page and called into the Clock Tower at Low Wood today. Nobody there has heard of Tim or a gallery. There is only one unit open that sells electrical white goods and has been there for years.

There is a lot of renovation going on so perhaps Tim's venture will be part of this. Do you have any more information?

Thanks

Bill
Old 8th March 2011, 11:14 PM
Friend

Bill, Apparently they only got the keys to the premises last week and renovation and installations are going to take two months.

Alison Catterall is the studio manager and lives in Haverthwaite. I'm in touch with her via Facebook and she plans to post regular updates of progress on The Clock Tower page there.

She thanked me for mentioning it here on FADU and wanted to pass on the fact that it is possible to arrive there by steam train. Should keep all dedicated traditionalists happy!
Old 9th March 2011, 07:24 AM

Thanks for that update Roy. Looking at the Facebook site it gives the impression that they are open.

I will keep an eye on the Facebook site and await the opening. They are about 15 miles from where I live.

Arriving by steam train is possible as long as you come from Lakeside to Haverthwaite via the Windermere boats from either Bowness or Ambleside. The Haverthwaite to Lakeside railway is not connected to the main rail network. It is then about a mile walk from the railway to the Clock Tower.

Bill

Last edited by Bill; 9th March 2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Additional words
Old 29th June 2011, 07:22 PM
Friend

Just to let everyone know that The Clock Tower is now operational and has a website: http://www.the-clocktower.co.uk/

Apart from a library of over 1200 photography books for visitors to browse, they have a darkroom catering up to 5x4 (soon to be 10x8) and facilities for both wet plate collodion and platinum/palladium printing.
(The owner and founder is one of the few commercial architectural photographers in London still shooting 10x8 and printing in Platinum/Palladium - and doing rather well from all accounts)

The first workshop is next weekend, July 2nd/3rd featuring Carl Radford on Wet Plate Collodion.

Following workshops are with Andrew Sanderson and Paul Hill/Maria Falconer.

I met with the owner, Timothy Soar, on the weekend and he is really excited about the whole project. Well, it's not often you get these kind of facilities opening these days is it?
I'm planning to go and visit in September to have a look.
Old 29th June 2011, 08:37 PM
Friend

I'm planning a trip up to the Lake District in September - Looks like an interesting area to visit.... Wonder if there are any suitable spots for camping in the area.
Old 30th June 2011, 08:11 PM
Friend

Thumbs up

Looks like an exciting venture, best of luck to all involved, I'll have a look sometime.

http://graemestarkphotography.blogspot.com/
Old 30th June 2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
I'm planning a trip up to the Lake District in September - Looks like an interesting area to visit.... Wonder if there are any suitable spots for camping in the area.

Have a look here http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/to...town=Ulverston

Bill
Old 6th July 2011, 04:39 PM
Friend

The four images I have just posted were made testing the chemistry for this course. The decision has been made to focus almost exclusively on analogue too! The website is now active http://www.the-clocktower.co.uk The space has potential to expand into a large exhibition space too.

Kerik Kouklis will be teaching in June of next year - one to look out for!
Old 1st August 2016, 10:28 AM
foulkner

one of the best architectural photographers in the UK and ready to start developing a fully functional web application for the first time,,,,,,,,,,,,
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies