Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st December 2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Welcome Carl, great introduction. Enjoy your film photography.
Old 4th December 2009, 04:22 PM
Friend

Default Some more info about my set up

Firstly thank you for the warm welcome!

Don’t worry, I’m not going to give up or loose faith; I have every intention of seeing my darkroom through to the end (my end!). I know there is something amazing and special about being in a room illuminated by a dim red light in the corner, but enough about my visit to Amsterdam… My darkroom, which is a wooden cabin at the bottom of my garden, is not an ideal setup as it does not have running water; instead I use two five gallon homebrew barrels filled with rain water, yes rain water, because my Shropshire tap water is incredibly hard and it leaves calcium residues on everything. I have a Meopta enlarger, which I do like, because it has more metal in its construction than the average modern car, and I have a Schneider 50mm F4 lens, which is quite old, but seems to do the job. I also have a Rodenstock 80mm lens for medium format work.

I love Paterson stuff, because it has that lovely ‘Made in England’ stamp all over it, and does the job well; so my dishes, enlarger timer, print washers, tongues etc are all from this local company. But I must confess to using AP film developing tanks, which I find are easier to load.

I have just bought a second hand paper safe, which I love, it is called a Unitron and when you open the door, it pushes a sheet of paper out. It just took quite a while to work out how to put the paper in!

The whole set up is shared with a computer, printer, cameras, books, the cat, and various bits of tat that my wife does not want in the house, all in a 10ft x 12 ft space!

If people are interested I would love to share my experiences, both good and bad, and maybe show you some of prints when I feel I have got the 'knack' better.

Just one last thing, I noticed that it is preferable to have your real name in your username, could someone tell me how to change my username so that it has my name in it.

Many Thanks

Carl
Old 4th December 2009, 06:02 PM
Friend

Sounds like you have a nice set up, I to use a meopta enlarger, with a meopta meogon 80mm lens and an old durst lens for 35mm, and mostly paterson stuff except for my R.H.Designs analyser pro, which I would hate to live without,Richard
Old 4th December 2009, 06:15 PM
Friend

Hi Carl, loved the intro and the follow up. I dont think you have anything to worry about when it comes to printing with your enthusiasm.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 4th December 2009, 07:14 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Welcome Carl.

Lets hope you enjoy the darkroom for many years.

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Contact Dave for a name change, he is very quick and helpful.

Bill
Old 4th December 2009, 07:27 PM
Friend

Welcome Carl. Mmm... only 30 film cameras. Can we be sure you have converted yet? :

Mike
Old 5th December 2009, 06:48 PM
Friend

Hello Carl,

Thought I'd say hello in as I live just up the road in Shrewsbury.

I don't know if it interests you but there's a small group of photographers that co-operate under the banner of Marches Independent Photography. More in this thread. Next Saturday (12th December) the group is having a talk/workshop by Paul Hill in Cardington. All are welcome.

Simon.
Old 5th December 2009, 11:16 PM
Friend

Hello Carl,
Anyone who likes the photographs of James Ravilious is a friend of mine, and as my darkroom is also a wooden cabin in the garden with no running water, I feel that we have a lot in common.
Welcome!

Alan
Old 7th December 2009, 02:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Hello Carl,
Anyone who likes the photographs of James Ravilious is a friend of mine, and as my darkroom is also a wooden cabin in the garden with no running water, I feel that we have a lot in common.
Welcome!

Alan
We do seem to have a lot in common; there is nothing quite like being locked in your own little world, accompanied by the hooting of an owl at the bottom of the garden at midnight!

For me James Ravilious is the one photographer I would have loved to have met. I love his gentle approach to photographing the English countryside; the way he kept contrast levels low with the use of old uncoated lenses, and the fact that he just seemed a lovely man, very sadly missed.
Old 7th December 2009, 07:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wright View Post
We do seem to have a lot in common; there is nothing quite like being locked in your own little world, accompanied by the hooting of an owl at the bottom of the garden at midnight!

For me James Ravilious is the one photographer I would have loved to have met. I love his gentle approach to photographing the English countryside; the way he kept contrast levels low with the use of old uncoated lenses, and the fact that he just seemed a lovely man, very sadly missed.
I agree Carl. Inspired by Ravilious I began photographing life on hill-farms on the North York Moors about eighteen months ago. Photographing people was a new venture for me and I would have loved to have had Ravilious along to show me the ropes.
Did you se the TV film about him? I can lend you the DVD if you didn't.

With regard to his love of low contrast and old uncoated Leica lenses, there is a lot of information about the practicalities of this in the book "An English Eye". I am unable to make my own mind up about this as it is many years since I have seen an original Ravilious print, and don't have a leica with an uncoated lens to compare results against my OM1 and Zuico lenses. Perhaps others here can comment on this.

Alan
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies