Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th November 2010, 11:20 AM
Friend

Thumbs up Greetings from East Yorkshire UK

Hi Everyone
This is a brilliant site.
I am just about to build my first darkroom in the garage (the car hasn't been able to get into it for years). I want to do Medium format B&W using my two roll film cameras (Bronica and Rollieflex). having recently retired this will become an important part of my life. I use digital extensively but I feel that the images i have seen produced on Photo paper still have both the edge, and an appeal that is hard to explain.
If anyone has any suggestions for things that I should consider while developing (pun absolutely intended) my darkroom I would really welcome them. I would rather get things right in the planning stage than make expensive mistakes which will have to be unpicked or rebuilt!
Thanks already for the advice I have had re enlargers. They have changed a lot since I last used one over 30 years ago...so I have a lot of learning to do.
Very happily
Norman
Old 30th November 2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Welcome to fadu Norman, you will get a lot of help here.
Old 30th November 2010, 12:05 PM
Friend

Welcome Norman,
I have a garage just like yours and I haven't even got a darkroom in it, just lots of junk that may come in handy one day!

If you use "Search" on the toolbar you will find a lot of discussions on darkroom, there are a couple of others here that are converting garages at the moment.
Old 30th November 2010, 12:18 PM
Friend

Hi Norman and welcome to FADU,
I too am in the process of building a darkroom in my garage. I moved home in April and have been without now since last year (as everyone here knows!).
Mine is a little slow, boxes in garage and an endless list of jobs round the house.
My garage is on the side of the house and for insulation purposes I will be putting 2"x2" batons on the floor, over the top of some heavy duty damp-proof polythene. Between the batons I'll be laying loft insulation, then the flooring chipboard over the batons. It worked really well in my old darkroom and I'll be applying the same principles to the exterior wall and ceiling, albeit with thinner wood & plaster board. One wall is the house itself so that won't need doing.

Just a suggestion.

Steve.

As a former teacher do you read these and subconsciously 'mark' the threads with red pen?

'Thoughts & Scribbles' blog

"You look at a colour image, but read a black & white one"

Flickr
Old 30th November 2010, 04:03 PM
Friend

Hi Norman and welcome to fadu, Bet you must be looking forward to getting that darkroom up and running,and I look forward to seeing the results, I also use a rolleiflex, a 1954 automat, and a Bronica etrs, which as I discovered classic cameras 2 years ago,is almost retired,Richard
Old 30th November 2010, 05:02 PM
Friend

Hello Norman and welcome to FADU. You will enjoy building and using your new darkroom.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 30th November 2010, 05:47 PM
Friend

Hi and welcome to FADU

Neil
Old 30th November 2010, 07:22 PM
Friend

Hi Norman and best of luck with the garage darkroom. My only advice would be to insulate as much as possible. Normal garage doors leak heat like there's no tomorrow.

Mike
Old 1st December 2010, 08:09 AM
Friend

Welcome to FADU Norman.

Miha
Old 1st December 2010, 08:17 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Welcome to the forum Norman.

Looking forward to seeing your work in the future.

Bill

Tags
enlarger lens, rollieflex
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies