Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Toy Cameras

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd December 2013, 12:32 PM
Friend

Default Disposable camera shoot-out!

In a recent thread (Too Much Gear) we worked around the idea of whether an abundance of kit offered more scope for picking exactly the right tool for the job, or led to a kind of 'paralysis of indecision'.
I half jokingly suggested we go out and shoot on the most basic tool there was- the single use 'disposable' camera.
Seems like a couple of folk at least are up for this!!
So, tomorrow (no shopping here on the Sabbath!) I'm off out first thing to find a cheapo disposable camera. It'll be colour, since there is no chance I'll find an Ilford B&W camera in Stornoway.
If anyone else feels inclined to try themselves, I'd suggest only the following- let's aim to shoot and get them processed by the end of January. At least one image posted in the Toy camera gallery afterwards.
Worried you'll miss a great shot whilst armed with a toy? We miss great stuff all the time- while we're sleeping, driving, working, the world goes on without us.
Worried you're pictures will all be rubbish? They probably will, but I bet you take something you'd never have tried with the MPP/Nikon/'Blad .
See you all in the pound shop . . .
Old 22nd December 2013, 01:37 PM
Friend

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0434.JPG
Views:	651
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1937

Not Ilford but found on the little old Isle Of Man
Old 22nd December 2013, 01:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanannan View Post
Attachment 1937

Not Ilford but found on the little old Isle Of Man
Wow!! Looks cool. I doubt that there be anything close in Glasgow.
Well done,
Alex
Old 22nd December 2013, 02:18 PM
Friend

Wow! Well done. Never owned a camera by Rollei myself . .
Old 22nd December 2013, 03:21 PM
Friend

I happen to own a "3M Scotch" brand Single Use Camera, for ourdoor use, ready-to-shoot, 400 speed . It boasts 27 film frames and the box says I should have used it before 1996. The film can be developed in C-41.
I think, sir, I will take up your challenge and attempt to obtain 27 photographic negatives taken in the Mojave Desert of California. I expect my local C-41 processor to recoil in horror when I present this dinosaur to him but I assure you that us desert rats are made of stern stuff. Shoot-outs are a daily fact of life out here in the Wild West. (Wyatt Earp used to drive a stagecoach for the Banning Stage Line. Banning is about a half an hour from my abode.)
Old 22nd December 2013, 03:56 PM
Friend

Excellent! I won't be producing pictures of the Mojave desert- 'daylight' from 9.30 'til 3.30 here at the moment. Today, a gale, sleet and heavy overcast!! Toying with some scenes from Stornoway's pubs, as at least there's light indoors.
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:31 AM
Friend

Cool

Sounds a fun idea and I'll give it a go. Following his death, I've been looking at the work of Saul Leiter which has inspired me to try some work in colour , and so, I've been carrying an Olympus XA, loaded with colour film. Now I will have to get a "disposable", and start carrying two cameras with me again.
Old 23rd December 2013, 12:05 PM
Friend

This is a great idea and worth trying if you haven't done this before or for a while, although the sunny months have better lighting for these type of cameras / films in them, but don't let this put you off.

When I was the syllabus secretary at one of my photographic societies, I introduced this idea into the syllabus, thinking one or two might give it a go, only to find myself overwhelmed with about 3/4's of the members wanting to. a selection of about 6 to 8 prints on a board was the final show down, with a small plastic silver cup and a prize for the one receiving the most votes. I was amazed at how imaginative the members were and it goes to show that it's not the equipment but the photographer that makes the great pictures.

Can I ask, are Holga's and the like to be included or just the shop bought pre-loaded cameras?

Terry S
Old 23rd December 2013, 01:53 PM
Friend

Holgas sound fine Terry- jump right in!
Old 23rd December 2013, 03:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
This is a great idea and worth trying if you haven't done this before or for a while, although the sunny months have better lighting for these type of cameras / films in them, but don't let this put you off.

When I was the syllabus secretary at one of my photographic societies, I introduced this idea into the syllabus, thinking one or two might give it a go, only to find myself overwhelmed with about 3/4's of the members wanting to. a selection of about 6 to 8 prints on a board was the final show down, with a small plastic silver cup and a prize for the one receiving the most votes. I was amazed at how imaginative the members were and it goes to show that it's not the equipment but the photographer that makes the great pictures.

Can I ask, are Holga's and the like to be included or just the shop bought pre-loaded cameras?

Terry S
Yep, Holgas should do nicely I am sure you will be able to source some crappy 40 year out of date badly stored film on Ebay to load it with, good luck and happy Christmas
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies