Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd March 2016, 10:16 PM
Friend

Default Warming solutions in the microwave

The freezer comes in handy when you've overdone heating your chemicals!
Old 24th March 2016, 08:55 AM
Friend

Agreed it does take a while to get chemicals up to temperature and I have often thought that the beakers that hold the developer being plastic are partially responsible because heat transfer is quite poor through plastic. If I can find just one beaker to hold the developer which is made from metal (preferably stainless but aluminium would do) this would speed things up - any bright ideas where I may find one? I considered glass and tried one, but even glass is a poor heat conductor
Old 15th June 2016, 09:43 PM
Friend

I've been using a fish tank heater to get the water in a basin up to 30C (considerably longer dev times) with the Tetanal c41 kit.Takes 20 to 30 minutes or so for that water to reach 30, takes my brown glass chem bottles a bit longer, well, a lot longer, perhaps another 30. Gives me time to reel the negs and get my area sorted, and have a cup of tea,catch an episode of my favourite tv program etc. I've had better results developing at 30c rather than the 38C which I found very difficult to maintain.
Old 16th June 2016, 05:08 AM
Friend

Default Students

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Complete with toaster and kettle?
Plus unwashed cups and a left over garment when a female companion left in a hurry!

Seriously though. The Rollie Digibase ready mixed C41 chemicals are a great time saver. I have started - successfully - using the same kit of concentrates of the Digibase chemicals all mixed at once and then stored in my cupboard in glass bottles. The 2.5ltr kit is more convenient than a 5 ltr kit and the diluted kit takes only a small space on the shelves.

4 x 500cc bottles, 2 x 150cc bottles and 2 x 100cc bottles. Once the smaller bottles are used up I just decant more from the larger ones. Even with the 'use once and discard' method, I can develop 20 x 35mm films from a full kit (2 per 250cc in the larger 120size tanks).

Last edited by John King; 16th June 2016 at 05:21 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies