Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st March 2019, 11:11 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I went to a lecture by Lee Filters last night which was interesting and the question of exposure compensation came up - mainly to do with their Big Stopper and their exposure compensation App. It appears that although the stated correction is 10 stops, the actual correction can be +/- 2/3 of a stop. They do make a later version of it that is more accurate but at a higher price. Perhaps the same is true for their coloured filters.
I was amazed to hear that all their filters are HAND made in this country although they are owned by american multinational Panavision.
Mike
Old 1st March 2019, 11:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I went to a lecture by Lee Filters last night which was interesting...
Mike
We were supposed to have a lecture by Lee filters at my local club last year as well, but it was cancelled due to the speakers health problems.

Hopefully they'll come back at a later date as I'm sure it was an interesting talk.

Terry S
Old 1st March 2019, 04:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
The filter compensation for Lee B&W filters appear to be considerably different to most round glass filters of the same colour. I have just received this information from Lee...
I wonder if the compensation quoted is in addition to any TTL meter reading ?

They all look very low otherwise.

I meter using a handheld device and won't be changing my filter factors as a result of the quoted table.

Martin
Old 19th March 2019, 01:06 PM
Administrator

I agree Martin they don't seem correct. I have not had much time to test the values from Lee. I have put a Lee 12 in front of my Pentax Spotmeter and it registers a need for extra 2/3 stop. Lee's chart says +1/3? I have a Heliopan round glass which registers the identical result. However the Heliopan says + 1.5? All very confusing. I will test them in the field at some point.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies