Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th February 2020, 07:42 AM
Friend

I’d definitely echo Johns point above. I’ve never had a darkroom with running water and whilst it would be a boon it’s not essential. My current “darkroom” is the corner of a small cellar and I take down a bucket of fresh water to hold finished prints during a session, taking it up with me to the kitchen periodically and finishing the print washing there before mounting the main stairs to hang them in my bathroom. I put off darkroom printing in my early years because I thought I needed a fully equipped dedicated room - in truth so long as you can make it light tight and have an electric point then you can make any room a darkroom.

Good luck and most importantly enjoy yourself!
Old 14th February 2020, 09:21 AM
Friend

I have to agree about running water, my printing space is a "darkshed" in the garden with no running water, just a bucket for holding any prints.

Like others I develop my films using the kitchen draining board and the sink, packing everything away between sessions

This is a great hobby, can be frustrating at times, but is 99% fun.

Ian

Last edited by CambsIan; 14th February 2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:18 PM
Friend

My first enlarger was for 35mm only.
We had lots of old family box camera negatives 6 x 7 cm. and I was soon a bit miffed that I hadn't bought an enlarger that would take them as well.
I eventually upgraded to a brand new Durst M605. Complete with colour head. This would still only take 6 x 6 cm negatives, but it was a good trade off considering funds available at the time.

My advice is, you may only be thinking of 35 mm at the moment, but the lure of medium format can grip you unawares.

Go for an enlarger that takes the next size or two negative up from what you are using at the moment. Also a colour head with built in filters is a convenience well worth having.

Cheers
Old 15th February 2020, 08:00 PM
Friend

Not sure if you'll see this in time, but came across this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jessop-B-...8AAOSwFjleQDtW

on ebay UK

worth keeping an eye on ?

Ian
Old 16th February 2020, 12:37 PM
Friend

Just checked out your link Ian and there's only a couple of things that would be required to get a full darkroom up and running. At the moment, there seems to only have been three bids = all by the same bidder, so I think that he's upped his auto bidding to a higher price.

I reckon there will be a few watching and the bids will happen quickly at the last minute. I'm watching it to see what the final bid is.

And I do hope the OP of this thread picks up on this, but he's only made the one post a few days ago now and hasn't returned yet...

Terry S
Old 16th February 2020, 12:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And I do hope the OP of this thread picks up on this, but he's only made the one post a few days ago now and hasn't returned yet...

Terry S
Yes I hope he acknowledges our posts soon. Otherwise we may be talking to ourselves

Mike
Old 9th May 2020, 02:35 PM
Friend

Considering the current situation, he may actually be poorly. If he is it may be a while before he's back.
Old 9th May 2020, 02:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Considering the current situation, he may actually be poorly. If he is it may be a while before he's back.
Well he only managed one post and that was way back on 20th February so you may be right about his being poorly but in that first week or so I was surprised that there was no response to a lot of helpful posts.

Of late we seem to have got a couple of newcomers from whom we heard no more. Such is the way of things on any forum I suppose but it is disappointing- for me at least.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies