Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st March 2017, 10:03 PM
Friend

Default What currently available printing papers are you using?

I have not bought any printing papers in awhile and was wondering what you like and why.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:47 PM
Friend

The only currently available papers I use are is Ilford RC MGIV; Ilford WTRC and Ilford Postcard which is Ilford Portfolio. WTRC is a lot more expensive than MGIV and the Postcard paper although based on a heavier weight paper called Portfolio is ridiculously expensive in my opinion. I do also use Jessops and Kentmere but of course Jessops no longer exists. It was I believe,made for it by Agfa( that's Agfa as was, not Adox). My Kentmere is the paper formerly made by Kentmere in Kendall, Cumbria and not the Kentmere currently made by Ilford.

Mike
Old 22nd March 2017, 05:12 AM
Friend

I now only use RC paper with the exception Ilford Art 300 The main reason for this is when I moved to my new home I found myself on a water meter so had to change my film developing and printing to a lesser use of water, so now I use MGIV Satin and Gloss, WT Pearl, Art 300 (has to have short wash times) and am just starting with Kentmere RC Lustre. I much prefer the satin, pearl and lustre finishes to gloss.
Richard
Old 22nd March 2017, 07:32 AM
Friend

I currently use a lot of FB paper, I like Adox MCC 110,Ilford MG Classic and Art 300, which is one of my favorite papers, and for RC I use Kentmere lustre
Richard
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:12 AM
Friend

Default Printing Papers

Currently I have the remains of a box of 12x16 Kentmere fibre glossy and I am using it extremely sparingly. I have about 10 sheets left!!! I so have a box of about 75 7x5 Kentmere MG fibre. I'm not sure what I will do with that at present but it will eventually get used. (possibly as test strips when I eventually print on the 12x16)

There is a box of 12x16 Kentmere MG RC lustre and some Ilford 10x8 pearl in a 100 box, but Ilford is not my favourite paper.

I also have about 3/4 of a roll of 12" wide x 88m Kodak RA4 glossy in a home made dispenser.

Last edited by John King; 22nd March 2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:37 AM
Friend

Ilford MG Classic glossy, Ilford MGWTFB glossy, Kentmere VC fine print Lustre.

Tony
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:43 AM
Friend

Mostly Ilford MG Warmtone FB but I still have quite a bit of Forte Polywarmtone FB left.

The Foma is just about finished.

I'm doing some smaller prints which is unusual fo me on Kodak Polymax RC paper but have two large rolls of Ilford MG IV RC as well, that I bought off ebay last year.

Ian
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Mostly Ilford MG Warmtone FB but I still have quite a bit of Forte Polywarmtone FB left.

The Foma is just about finished.

I'm doing some smaller prints which is unusual fo me on Kodak Polymax RC paper but have two large rolls of Ilford MG IV RC as well, that I bought off ebay last year.

Ian
Hey Ian,

Is your poly warmtone still good? I bought a box when Forte announced they were closing. Its been refrigerated since so I'm hoping it's still good. Are the Foma papers any good? I love Ilford film but have never got on with there papers,though I have never tried the classic.
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverphoton View Post
Hey Ian,

Is your poly warmtone still good? I bought a box when Forte announced they were closing. Its been refrigerated since so I'm hoping it's still good. Are the Foma papers any good? I love Ilford film but have never got on with there papers,though I have never tried the classic.
My Polywarmtone was from the very last Forte coating run which all went to Fotoimpex, it's still excellent it's just been stored in the darkroom. I've only large sheets left 20x16 and 24x20 the 4 packets under the Adox MCC, I cut this down to the sizes I need.

Ian
Old 22nd March 2017, 01:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
My Polywarmtone was from the very last Forte coating run which all went to Fotoimpex, it's still excellent it's just been stored in the darkroom. I've only large sheets left 20x16 and 24x20 the 4 packets under the Adox MCC, I cut this down to the sizes I need.

Ian
Thanks Ian, that's good to know.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies