Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th March 2017, 05:17 AM
Friend

Default Encouraging encounter

Yesterday I was sitting eating my lunch in one of the Lord Street gardens in sunny Southport when a couple of 16 to 17 yr old likely looking lads went past and I noticed one had a camera round his neck with a brushed chrome top so definitely not modern. I called to him is that a film camera round you're neck they stopped and turned back and yes it was a Pentax K1000 they said they weren't photo students but were doing a photo module attached to their course and their tutor loves film also the college has a darkroom and they process and print their work. It was good to see these lads were really enjoying what they were doing and they also said film is much better than digital. My lunch tasted a lot better after this.
Richard
Old 24th March 2017, 11:01 AM
Friend

I'll bet it did, Richard! It's good to see there are young people out there prepared to put in a bit of effort and not just follow the pack. If only we could find more of them.

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Old 24th March 2017, 12:13 PM
Friend

I've just finished another film photography evening course at Glasgow School of Art. There were 10 students, 5 of whom were between 16 and 25. They were all very enthusiastic. Only 3 of the group, myself included, were over 40. There is interest among the younger generation, but we just have to hope that the materials and equipment remain available and accessible to maintain that interest.
Alex
Old 24th March 2017, 04:51 PM
Friend

On my darkroom nightschool course in 2003 all of the participants were relatively young( late teens to late 20s) and this course wasn't part of any compulsory module. The whole thing was hobby/interest driven.

I thought then and still do that hands-on analogue photography is of a lot of interest to the younger generation. The problem comes later when there is no access to a darkroom and the cost of commercial processing and lack of any prospect of hands-on processing means that a lot of these youngsters "fall by the wayside"

Mike
Old 25th March 2017, 10:12 AM
Friend

I still do analogue photography courses, both darkroom and film, and at least half of the people that come are 18 to 25 year old's who say they are fed up or bored with digital, some work in offices and say that much as they enjoy photography they work with computers and the last thing they want is to come home and work with a computer in their own time, and some say they know what they can do with digital/computers after all they grew up with them, but in the darkroom they love an image appearing on a plain white sheet of paper, I guess there is hope for us all yet
Richard
Old 25th March 2017, 04:28 PM
Friend

This all sounds like a great resurfacing of interest among the young, but I'd love to see them hefting a view camera on tripod over their shoulders. For now, though, I'll take what I can see/hear of their convictions (or just plain enjoyment).
Old 26th March 2017, 06:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
This all sounds like a great resurfacing of interest among the young, but I'd love to see them hefting a view camera on tripod over their shoulders. For now, though, I'll take what I can see/hear of their convictions (or just plain enjoyment).

All of the youngsters at my course had been to a large format workshop last summer.
Alex
Old 27th March 2017, 08:39 AM
Friend

Many of our children's friends are interested in film, I know they keep asking me to find cameras for them!
I have picked up and re homed a few from the local charity shops.
I am currently using an old OM10 to test it out before I pass it on, lovely old camera.
Old 27th March 2017, 11:13 AM
Friend

I used to see at least one analogue camera in several of the charity shops in my town a few years ago but haven't seen one in quite a long time. I think most if not all of those who ditched such cameras have now done so.

That supply, in my town at least, appears to have dried up

Mike
Old 27th March 2017, 12:08 PM
Friend

I must admit they take some finding but some times they think they are worth a lot more than they are, I did see one for sale in a glass cabinet for many months as it was a Zenit priced at about £50!
I actually have two bought with no lenses for £1 each! but no doubt lenses will turn up.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies