Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd June 2017, 09:03 AM
Friend

Default To Jobo or not to Jobo.... and which one

My darkroom build starts next week…. I have had enough of converting the bathroom when I want to print and humping all the kit in and out. Basically its a fully insulated shed with water (cold only) and electricity.... the darkroom not the bathroom...... I have 6ft x 8ft of space, which sounds big till you work out whats to go in. In my quest for consistency I'm thinking of developing using a jobo processing system. But what do I need to look out for?

Im processing black and white film in both 35mm and in 120 (6x7), I DO envisage both C41 and E6 in the future. Print processing using a nova 20x16 fb slot processor… with trays as backup. I will only PRINT b&w, any colour will be scanned.

I would think ill be doing 4-6 rolls a week of 120 and say 2-3 of 35mm

So in relation to the jobo…. I ‘think’ I need a CPE with lift…. But what tank/tanks….. or am I wrong?

Or is the quest for consistency stay manual and perfect my timing

I dont envisage going large format….

As always, thanks in advance

Dave
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:24 AM
Friend

I don't use a Jobo processor, but I know what they look like. What occurs to me is that you might be a bit limited with space. I also use an insulated shed of slightly larger dimensions, but I find that hand processing indoors at the kitchen sink is fine, with the shed reserved for printing. The difference, however, is the volume of film you will be processing. That suggests that a processor of some sort would be in order. I don't think I could be bothered hand processing as much in a week. With careful planning, you should get everything in the shed, but I'm sure others will agree, it can quickly become cluttered!
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:19 AM
Friend

I have an old Jobo CPE2 which is/was the smallest model. I got it mainly for E6 for which it's brilliant. Will do 12 sheets of 5x4 at once with the right drum. I don't have the lift on it and have never felt the need for one.

I also use it for b&w but if i'm just doing of rolls of 135/120 I tend to just hand invert in small stainless tanks.
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:08 PM
Friend

I use a CPP-2 with lift and 2500 series tanks.

As Dave mentions, you can do 5x4, 120 and 35mm in the 2500 series tanks though they are not cheap.

It does take up a lot of space if you leave it permanently setup like mine is.

The other thing to remember is that you can process prints in the Jobo too if you have the right tanks.....2800 series i think.

So it may take up a lot of space, but it could save you from having to lay out trays and gives you the advantage of temperature control.

Mike
Old 23rd June 2017, 08:03 PM
Friend

Hi Dave, my darkshed is a 6x8, you'll be surprised how much you can fit in it. I'm able to have enlarger and all my other stuff out for most of the time, only put my trays away if I want to use my jobo, but could at a squeeze leave them all out.

I have work benches along one end and down one side. A shelving unit opposite, and a row of shelves over the bench, all full I admit, but it fits.

Even have room for a compact tumble drier (concession to the good lady)

Ian
Old 24th June 2017, 05:10 PM
Friend

thanks to all who replied... I think the size is about the minimum to be comfortable.... I might start out processing manually and see how it goes but lets get the build going next week and take it from their.

Thanks for your input

Dave
Old 24th June 2017, 05:52 PM
Friend

Colour processing is hard without a tempering bath - and a little CPE2 is quite cheap.

The lift mechanism is a real help - its surprisingly difficult to get the tanks off the processor without one.

As for space - compact is good - everything is within easy reach.

Martin
Old 24th June 2017, 06:14 PM
Friend

Default Using a JOBO processor

As it has been said before they are great for processing C41 and E6 although with the latter you have to be very carefull about the tempering bath because the temp outside the beakers, even if they show exactly 38c the actual bath can be as much as 2-3 degrees more. usinf a count down timer, or timers is essential as well. One for the developer time and one set for the rinse baths so there is no time lag between the two when changing over.

I used to also use the JOBO for B&W as well, but found that they were a lot less helpful. Manual developing for B&W is easier and offers far better control.
Old 24th June 2017, 11:20 PM
Friend

My darkroom isn't large, but being the utility room, has running hot & cold water, and I fitted it out as a darkroom with dry and wet shelves. About a decade ago, I used a Jobo Duolab very successfully for processing E6 at 38degC. I was impressed by the consistency of results with Provia 100. I made my own film drying cabinet based on a Jobo Mistral 2 unit.
Then I went largely digital for a decade, but have got back into traditional photography recently.

I'm happy to try and answer any queries.
Old 25th June 2017, 05:50 AM
Friend

If the CPE is the unit and I am only developing film, lets say 2-4 120 rolls.... what tank do I need with a CPE with a lift?

Dave
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies