Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th February 2017, 09:38 PM
Friend

Default BBC Four - new season of photography

Time to set our recorders!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08h95jk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...itain-in-focus

Sorry it's not anymore clear than this but I can't find any more or better links than these for now. Perhaps those in the UK will have better luck.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 25th February 2017, 10:47 PM
Friend

three one hour programmes on bbc 4 ,from fox Talbot to instagram . it will be on early spring and eamonn McCabe has made it and will also be in it.....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 27th February 2017, 01:33 PM
Friend

I caught a trailer for the new series recently as well and have looked up some of the people mentioned, that I hadn't heard of. After doing so I am particularly looking forward to the part about Dougie Wallace and his '...startling and eye-catching images (that) capture the life of the inhabitants and visitors to the super-rich residential and retail district of Knightsbridge and Chelsea, with its solid gold-plated Bugatti’s and high end retail consumerism. ...(And) as he finishes his exhilarating, headline-grabbing photography photo-documentary series ‘Harrodsburg’ '.

Terry S
Old 27th February 2017, 10:19 PM
Friend

I looked at the clips and the second one about Victorian polaroids reminded me of something my dad told me. He said that in the late 30s in Glasgow, especially on a Saturday you could find photographers with stands in various places in the streets of central Glasgow who would invite you to have your photo taken, on a "while you wait" basis. The print would be produced from chemicals the photographer had with him within minutes. I presume that there was some kind of a tent involved but I have no idea

I was a youngster at the time of telling so not interested in the technicalities and sadly cannot now ask any questions of my Dad. I suspect this was a common practice in many cities/ seasides of that era. Does anyone have any idea what was used to make these "while you wait" pictures?

I suspect it may have been a kind of paper positive that was produced as it is difficult to see how a negative then a print could have been done on a while you wait basis.

I am not even sure if the photographer had any kind of tent for the developing but I think he must have. All I think I can remember is my Dad saying that as the customer you could watch the end process but this may have been from half way through the fixing onward.

Any "grey-beards" here recall such things or able from research to recall how it was done?

Thanks

Mike
Old 28th February 2017, 12:31 PM
Friend

Mike,

the following link may explain what may have been what was used in the past. It's a really interesting site, after which I researched quite a bit and eventually bought the book connected to the site link.

http://www.afghanboxcamera.com/

Terry S
Old 5th March 2017, 01:24 PM
Friend

its starts Monday 9pm bbc4 be there or be square man

www.essexcockney.com
Old 5th March 2017, 03:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
its starts Monday 9pm bbc4 be there or be square man

www.essexcockney.com
already got it marked to switch over at 9, thanks for the hands up
Richard
Old 5th March 2017, 05:02 PM
Friend

Thanks Terry. That may have well been the method. It may be just possible that there were paper positives available in the U.K. in the 30s which would have shortened the process but I have no idea.

Based on the video I suspect that what my Dad was referring to was a kind of a gimmick for the customer's interest which involved waiting until the paper was partially fixed then removing the tray and letting the customer see the remainder of the fixing. It probably made fixing easier as well

I assume all the paper was FB in those days and suspect that the washing was very short as I now also recall my Dad saying that eventually the picture went brownish which is the result of inadequate washing.

Mike
Old 7th March 2017, 10:25 AM
Friend

did you see it last night what a BLOODY good programme I have not enjoyed telly this much for a long time ..sorry about the swearing :-)

www.essexcockney.com
Old 7th March 2017, 07:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
did you see it last night what a BLOODY good programme I have not enjoyed telly this much for a long time ..sorry about the swearing :-)

www.essexcockney.com
Good to know big Paul.
And Harry Burton, "the man who shot Tutankhamun" is being shown on BBC Four on Wednesday 8th March from 21.00 to 22.00.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies