Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th March 2021, 02:55 PM
Friend

Default 35mm or120

been reading a lot about medium format lately and there seems to be a rise in medium format shooters on the net , and when looking at sites like FFordes that have hardly any medium format cameras for sale so I can believe it .I think the best selling MF cameras at the moment are the Pentax 6x7 cameras ,and as we know the price of all film cameras have gone through the roof .
So are you a 120 or 35mm user or both ,I like both ,as bailey says they both have different attitude .
Old 14th March 2021, 03:56 PM
Friend

Hi Paul,

I'm a member of the "both" camp.

I guess 35mm for speed of shooting along with the affordable (?) extras that go with it.

120 for when taking time and where using the std lens suits, extras are way to pricey for my pocket. Even the Kiev stuff is only just about affordable these days.

Ian

Last edited by CambsIan; 14th March 2021 at 03:59 PM.
Old 14th March 2021, 04:41 PM
Friend

I use both. I've got Olympus OM kit for 35mm which is small and light and the lenses are superb quality. For MF it's a Yashicamat when I'm feeling a bit square! I also like the more 'contemplative' approach of using a waist-level finder. If ther are no other constraints I use a Mamiya 7ii with 50mm, 80mm amd 150mm lenses which is a terrific camera - as easy to hand hold as 35mm and the large negs and superb lenses give amazing quality. The downside is that it's a faff to change lenses and only 10 on a roll can get expensive when the light's good!
Old 14th March 2021, 05:18 PM
Friend

I use both. The mjuII is a real pocket, carry anywhere 35mm camera, my Pentax SLR is good but not pocketable in quite the same way and my P545N is quite a heavy 120 beast but if there were a way to carry it more easily for several hours at a time other than slung round my neck it would probably be my go-to camera for most shots

A 645 neg is one that is easier to do a lot more with

Mike
Old 14th March 2021, 05:55 PM
Friend

I also use both, I have Rollei's in 66 and bronica's and a Mamiya in 645, it depends on how I feel, but a days shooting with 35mm, well, for 99% the camera, plus a 70 to 200 and a 24 or 28 to 100 zoom, no big bags, but with my 645's I need to carry a big bag with filters, lenses film Ect, can get heavy after an hour or 2 walking, wwith the Tlr's and folder,s, welol just camera filter weston and film
Richard
Old 14th March 2021, 08:25 PM
Friend

I use both with Olympus being my main 35mm with some early Miranda. Then Bronica ETRSi and S2 for medium format. Have been looking to get an RB67 but there are not many around at the moment.

David
Old 15th March 2021, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Pretty much exclusively my Bronica SQAs - suits my slower landscapey type shots and gives a much larger negative of course.
Old 15th March 2021, 05:23 AM
Friend

I love my Rolleiflexes most. I have both a Tele-Rollei and 3,5f for which I own both Mutars.
Beside this I shot 35 mm as well. Here I love the easy way to take close ups and the 135 mm tele lenses.
Old 15th March 2021, 07:05 AM
Friend

Medium format is beautiful. I love using the camera, with its huge ground glass image (Rolleiflex SL66 in my case).

However, 35mm is so versatile, and with an f/1.4 lens beats MF for portraits in poor light, especially when you consider depth of field (still comparing film).

Since digital, I'd have to admit that it has supplanted film for some uses, like social gatherings. However, when I'm in a place that I love, MF can't be beaten. Portraits in indoor light I prefer 35mm. I have a few too many cameras, and at my age the family is pressurising me to do some rationalising.
Old 15th March 2021, 07:16 AM
Friend

35mm & 120, I also use Holga and Zero 2000 in 6x6.

www.davidlingham.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies