Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st November 2018, 11:12 PM
Friend

I have always been a Nova slot processor printer but there are clearly advantages to a tray system which John has outlined. Les McLean in his book mentions a simple but very effective one involving water. I suppose all these things might be possible in a Nova but would clearly be difficult if you couldn't view the print while it was flat in a tray.

Mike
Old 2nd November 2018, 02:56 PM
Friend

John King, Richard Gould, thanks for your comments. When I was being taught the basics of darkroom printing, it was not specified as to which chemical was 'safe' for finger-dipping - still learning!
Old 2nd November 2018, 05:49 PM
Administrator

From what I have read, only a very small number of people have an allergic reaction to developers, but for those that do, it can be devastating, resulting in an end to all darkroom work. So as soon as you start to feel a reaction, best to stop immediately and glove-up as repeated exposure can lead to hypersensitivity resulting in even being in the same room becoming impossible. Others can bathe in the stuff with no ill effects (do not try this at home!).

Smelly type fixers really irritate my throat/lungs so I only use neutral to alkaline ph ones now and they seem to be fine. Never had any issues with developers, although I have always used tongs <insert another plug for the Kaiser stainless ones here>...

Have fun, Bob.
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:04 PM
Friend

Default Allergies

I am very lucky allergy wise. Apart from the reaction to RA4 bleach/fix I am OK. Not so when I am brow beaten into doing the washing up. Fairey Liquid plays hell with the skin on my finger tips breaking out in small cuts that are extremely painful.

That is why I got a dishwasher that is plumbed in. (It is also good for deep cleaning the likes of developing tanks, dishes and plastic measures). best done when home alone!
Old 6th November 2018, 07:29 AM
Friend

John,

That's a very generous offer and as I live in Newcastle I'd be delighted to take the equipment off your hands. I use a Nova which is a bit "poorly" so this lot will enable me to keep going. I'll send you a message with my contact details so we can arrange pickup.

Kevin
Old 6th November 2018, 12:59 PM
Friend

Well done John for such a marvelous offer and to Kevin from saving it from the possible disposal on a tip! As a last resort, I was beginning to think that if no one would take it all, I would end up driving the couple of hundred miles each way to get them...

Terry S
Old 6th November 2018, 05:28 PM
Friend

Default Photo Equipment

The skip or the tip are two places that it would not end up. I know the value (not the monetary type) of analogue equipment and if there had been no takers it would have finished up in the loft -just in case... However colour printing for me was getting too boring. Once you got the balance correct for a particular roll of film if was like a conveyor belt.

Now,..... B&W...... you have to work at that to get a half decent result.
Old 6th November 2018, 07:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
The skip or the tip are two places that it would not end up. I know the value (not the monetary type) of analogue equipment and if there had been no takers it would have finished up in the loft -just in case... However colour printing for me was getting too boring. Once you got the balance correct for a particular roll of film if was like a conveyor belt.

Now,..... B&W...... you have to work at that to get a half decent result.
If you get bored of riding your BMW give us a shout Good to see a good deed done John it restores my faith in human nature.
Old 6th November 2018, 09:18 PM
Friend

Big thanks to John as the equipment has now arrived at it's new home.
Old 7th November 2018, 11:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
The skip or the tip are two places that it would not end up. I know the value (not the monetary type) of analogue equipment and if there had been no takers it would have finished up in the loft -just in case...
I did think that would be the case John. I made a bit of a generalised comment there, whilst hoping the above would be the case. As it turns out you got a thankful member of this site to take it all of off you.

Good luck with the B/W work.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies