Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th October 2021, 04:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Sorry John.
Here is where the Internet Forum falls down.
If we could meet in the pub I reckon we'd have thrashed this out by about the fourth pint of Guinness.
I agree. Sometimes on a forum where face to face comms are not possible, the only way to be sure what is the information required, involves the very long-winded way of asking a series of questions, awaiting an answer and taking it then in very small steps to be sure that what the person needs to know is what we are answering

pentaxuser
Old 25th October 2021, 10:42 PM
Friend

When changing contrast filters the question is what changes and what stays the same.
With the latest Ilford filters and their Multigrade Classic paper the exposure stays the same for grades 00 to 3 and asks an extra 9% or so for grades 4 and 5.
The highlights are the thing that stays the same and the shadows can be racked up and down as the paper grade changes. In theory.
This works for small changes in contrast but for a big change I'll run another test strip just to be sure.
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 26th October 2021, 08:37 AM
Friend

My experience is different to Maris's. He says the highlights stay the same when the same exposure is given at different grades ( with Ilfords latest filters and Mgd Classic.) When I tried this a few years ago with Mgd.4 the mid tone stayed the same, and the highlights and shadows both changed. When going to a higher grade the shadows got darker and the highlights got lighter. More contrast. When going to a lower grade the opposite happened. The shadows got lighter and the highlights got darker. Less contrast. This was in a Leitz Valoy condenser enlarger and a traditional pearl bulb. I did the experiment then did it again with an LED of 2800K to see if it worked the same. It did.
Colour temperature of the lamp is important here. I used to use a fluorescent light in a home-made 5x4 enlarger. This worked as Maris has described. The highlights stayed the same at the same exposure with different grades.
If anyone is confused about this I would advise them to do a simple experiment. Next time you do a really nice print with no burning or dodging on, say, grade 2.5, make more prints with the same exposure. 1.5, 0.5 and 3.5. Then go to 4.5 with more exposure. These four prints will show you exactly what is happening, with your set-up. And my bet is that in the future you will always opt to do another test strip when moving to a higher or lower grade in order to try to get a better print, rather than keeping to the same exposure and hoping for the best.

Alan
Old 26th October 2021, 09:11 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I agree with Alan. If you look at the paper curves supplied by Ilford then they cross at the speed point which Ilford take to be a mid-grey. That is the tone that will stay the same with constant time and changed filters.

Bill
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies