Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th November 2021, 03:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Well it's the friendliest park in Europe apparently. I wonder what the second friendliest one is like?

Mike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrchfeybHmw

Ps Oops. It's not Europe. You get the idea.
Old 9th November 2021, 09:36 PM
Friend

Sorry I do not get the idea. digitised 'snuff' movies are not my scene.
Old 10th November 2021, 01:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
I have a copy of an excellent little book, giving general advice on the laws affecting photography.
It is on the bay secondhand for only about three UK pounds including postage.
Second edition, blue cover, and slightly more up to date, was printed in 1989.

Title.
THE PHOTOGRAPHER AND THE LAW. by DON CASSELL
Thanks for that Nat. I know 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...' but it sounds interesting enough to have a browse. And there are loads of really cheap copies on eBay UK. I just got one for £1.99 incl p/p and is the THIRD edition, from 1997, although it's probably still out of date. If I find it interesting enough, I'll then have a look for the most up to date version.

Terry S
Old 10th November 2021, 10:27 PM
Friend

Default Beware!

This guidance is generally for photographers and photographs taken on public areas only. If places like parks like the one you were stopped in is on private land or leased from the council and they have full control and responsibility for the running of the park that guidance is about as useful as chocolate teapot. Hence the unwelcome appearancc4 of the hulk you encountered in you venture.

They are 'public' by invitation, but if there are Conditions of Entry relating to the behaviour or conduct of persons in the park, or even Byelaws (Usually Council run parks) then if you transgress you are on very sticky ground. However that does not stop anyone taking photographs of what is inside the park from a public place. i.e. from the footpath outside.

That can really piss them off, but in reality there is little they can do about it.

That used to also apply to railway stations run in the days of BR. Then if you spoke nicely to the station manager you could usually get a permit and this allowed you limited access (Areas not concerned with the operation of trains or other safety aspects.)

Since privatisation it has generally been relaxed but things such as tripods will be frowned on. If the work is for gain, that could be you are shooting publicity photographs for which your pockets will be lined with gold. This will be not a good idea and a formal agreement will almost certainly be required. I think principally this is in case of any claim that can be made against Network Rail for accidents or whoever is the operator on that line.

One or two stations on the Tyne and Wear Metro have enforced a ban on photography because of the security and safety.
Old 11th November 2021, 12:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post

One or two stations on the Tyne and Wear Metro have enforced a ban on photography because of the security and safety.
I seriously wonder how they feel they can enforce this rule of no cameras. Is it that clear with modern i-phones that a person is taking a photo as opposed to simply using it as a mobile phone?

It might be the same thing in Terry's case i.e. an analogue camera is much more obvious than is an i-phone and so the guards and the park's owners take the easy way out and concentrate on those who use cameras that are obviously cameras.

The rest of what are cameras as well as phones are just too difficult to even begin to try and stop

Mike
Old 11th November 2021, 09:06 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I seriously wonder how they feel they can enforce this rule of no cameras. Is it that clear with modern i-phones that a person is taking a photo as opposed to simply using it as a mobile phone?

It might be the same thing in Terry's case i.e. an analogue camera is much more obvious than is an i-phone and so the guards and the park's owners take the easy way out and concentrate on those who use cameras that are obviously cameras.

Mike
They have uniformed security on the platforms with the sole job of keeping photographers off the stations. the two stations are north east of Newcastle and were badly affected. I think this was due to the unwanted photographers actually going down onto the the lines. The rules are actually in the Byelaws enforced by Tyne and Wear Metro and can mean a court appearance and upon conviction a criminal record and carry a fine of up to £2000 for trespass exactly the same as the track maintained by network rail.

That I am all in favour of this because the disruption caused, if a person is even seen on the lineside, trains are put on caution which causes delays to back up and can be incredibly expensive for the company.
Old 11th November 2021, 09:28 AM
Friend

I've not experienced trouble with security staff, but on one occasion had to deal with a highly officious representative from one of the wildlife charities here in Norfolk, trying to insist that I wasn't allowed to photograph on the public beach, so people do get some strange ideas.
Old 11th November 2021, 07:03 PM
Friend

Good News John.
Selfies and family snaps are permissible on the Metro. No flash.
It looks like project work and professional operations require permission though.
The link takes you to a page of rules for photography.
A bit of thought and a suitably unimpressive camera could get you your picture should you feel the desire to take some pictures.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/usefu...-filming-metro

Cheers.
Old 11th November 2021, 10:43 PM
Friend

How I came to know about the ban on photography was in a magazine where two people were taking pictures and refused to leave. Consequently the Security were within their rights to remove them which they did.

There are a number of quite old Acts of Parliament which are still on the Statute Book although they have been absorbed into later Acts to cover what they did.

Last edited by John King; 11th November 2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12th November 2021, 02:06 PM
Friend

Thanks for all the comments peeps. Some interesting reading.

I have made a formal complaint to the park and after reading their T+C's, it appears that I mustn't say anything / too much on social media.

So to be on the safe side, I'll go a bit quiet on this matter for a while, until I get a reply.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies