Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th March 2012, 10:09 PM
Friend

I went Monday and had a great day

I thought there was more Analogue stuff around this year than last.

On the Kodak stand there was a sign saying they were doing deals to sell Kodak Professional Film at special Show prices - but I am an Ilford man, so didn't bother enquiring any further.

Had a long chat with Mike Walker about the success of the Harman Titan Pinhole camera and had a play with a prototype 10x8 they are looking to do.

Ilford were displaying some of Leon Taylors excellent prints from his work with Ilford 5x4 Pinhole

Yes, its true that most of the show is given over to Photo Albums for Wedding Photographers but all the quality camera manufacturers had analogue products, as did many of the more discerning shops.

Martin
Old 7th March 2012, 09:17 AM
Friend

Dammit Martin I was there on Monday as well! I didn't dare mention it here as the show is mostly OT these days but I saw some interesting (and tempting) stuff.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 7th March 2012, 12:20 PM
Friend

I too went on Monday. Decided to give it a miss this year but an old friend from college asked me along to catch up. Spoke to most of the same people mentioned here. Some interesting stuff from Linhoff and Alpa on one of the stands.

I had an interesting chat with Mike Walker regarding the Titan SF which I was interested in, only to find out the moulds had been thrown away by the company who made them, and hence the camera is no longer available, he said they were hugely expensive to recreate. He is planning another camera with minimum movements that would be very quick to set up.

Neil
Old 7th March 2012, 01:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Maybe things analogue are looking up to make it worth their while to travel all the way from France. Were they just visitors like yourself or did they have a stand or helping out on a stand?

Thanks

Mike
Mike

They were there representing themselves but floating around talking to old mates.
They were promoting (at every opportunity) their e-books available from their website, Francis was keen to demonstrate them on her Kindle. Havent checked them out yet.

Had a long and VERY interesting discussion about Darkroom User Magazine but couldnt possible repeat some of the things mentioned.

Regards

Andrew
Old 7th March 2012, 04:42 PM
Friend

I was there on Monday, apart from a few good stands, show was a bit dull.
But at least there weren't loads of stands telling me I can make £10,000 every weekend by becoming a photographer.

Robert Capa must be turing in his grave, the talk I overheard around the new battery powered cameras...It's a camera and won't make you a better photographer!
Old 7th March 2012, 05:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post

I had an interesting chat with Mike Walker regarding the Titan SF which I was interested in, only to find out the moulds had been thrown away by the company who made them, and hence the camera is no longer available, he said they were hugely expensive to recreate. He is planning another camera with minimum movements that would be very quick to set up.
Interesting stuff Neil. I wonder if the new camera could be like a walkerised version of the ebony rsw45? That would be a great product.

That 10x8 pinhole sounds interesting too.
Old 8th March 2012, 07:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Interesting stuff Neil. I wonder if the new camera could be like a walkerised version of the ebony rsw45? That would be a great product.
Errr... no it isn't

It will be interesting though

Martin
Old 8th March 2012, 07:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
Dammit Martin I was there on Monday as well! I didn't dare mention it here as the show is mostly OT these days but I saw some interesting (and tempting) stuff.
Oops, sorry Richard

Your right, there was lots of interesting, tempting and seriously expensive stuff on offer

There was also lots in tempting and reasonably inexpensive stuff too

I thought there was more analogue there this year than there has been for a while - but may be I am biased.

The person I spoke to on the Paterson stand was saying they were surprised how much interest they had been in Darkroom equipment, they had expected to be mainly showing their other product ranges.

Martin

Last edited by Martin Aislabie; 8th March 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies