Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd September 2014, 12:05 PM
Friend

I have just bought a Hasselblad 503CW body for my birthday ,hopefully it should be here in a couple of days time ,its got to be a lot lighter than my 553ELX ,as far as I can work out its the same as my 553 but without the motor drive on the bottom its got TTL and its got the big mirror ,and it should be as bright and easy to focus as my 553,so I will have one for going out and one for indoors ,and before anybody asks I don't need them I just want them ,and all these years of film photography and its only now that I can afford them and enjoy them.....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 2nd September 2014, 02:34 PM
Friend

If you get one, a neck strap is a must have. just for the piece of mind.
700 is a lot of money to be dropping on the floor!
Old 2nd September 2014, 03:40 PM
Friend

I bought a 500cm earlier in the year and it was my first medium format camera. I paid 380 on ebay without the 50mm lens, which was a conscious decision, as I only plan to use a 50mm and 150mm. I was surprised at the condition of the camera; it was certainly in very good to mint condition.
I corresponded with Ffordes on several occasions and found them to be very helpful.
I was hoping to get a 501cm and most people would recommend that you get one of them purely on the grounds that they are younger. But a good condition 500 which has been looked after and not hammered by a professional should still outlive many of us.
The viewfinder is supposed to vignette with the longer telephoto lenses, but it has not been that noticeable to me.
I really enjoy using it. I have bought a few extra backs allowing me the option of using slow, fast and colour film - it almost has the flexibility of a digital camera !
The body and two lenses are weighty (but probably not as much as the loads carried by many of the forums large format users !!!).
If the camera comes with a warranty the price looks reasonable.
David
Old 2nd September 2014, 04:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
,and before anybody asks I don't need them I just want them ,and all these years of film photography and its only now that I can afford them and enjoy them.....

www.essexcockney.com
I couldn't agree more.
David
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:02 PM
Friend

When you get your Hasselblad download a instruction manual for it.
I got mine from www.butkus.org good quality scans in pdf format.
Old 5th September 2014, 11:35 PM
Friend

Thanks very much for all your comments and suggestions. I shall certainly get a strap and manual of course. Regarding what I want it for, I am still at the stage of wanting to photograph everything! (not really everything but you get what I mean) so it is attractive to me because I know I can get a Hass lens for just about anything and can swap backs as I go if needs be. Does anyone know how easy it is to get these cameras serviced/repaired when the time comes? Is it more expensive than other cameras in the bracket?
Old 6th September 2014, 11:42 AM
Friend

Jakecb have you got your hassi camera yet ,,I bought a 503cw from ffordes ,it has some pitting and cracking on some of the chrome but the foam looks good and the mirror is clean and not to much wear on the body ,so for 500.oo pounds it seems ok there is 6 months guarantee ,so if it did go wrong in that time it goes back .as for repairs in general I would think that it would not be that expensive they are a basic camera after all .I don't know what the other models are like but the 503cw and the 553elx both have the bigger mirror and looking through them even in dim light they are really sharp and bright and very easy to focus ..I will stick to these two ,I would love a h series but the lenses just seem so expensive ,and I would guess that repair prices are high ...

www.essexcockney.com
Old 6th September 2014, 12:47 PM
Friend

Hi Paul. No I haven't got it yet. I have emailed them to see if they will do something on the price if I add a shoulder strap, prism and pistol grip. It is hard to be patient! I watched a load of youtube stuff about the camera last night which was useful. They have been your "main" cameras for some years?
Old 7th September 2014, 06:08 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakecb View Post
Does anyone know how easy it is to get these cameras serviced/repaired when the time comes? Is it more expensive than other cameras in the bracket?
I did a quick search and found Hasselblad UK at the link below, appeared quite reasonable - 120 for a health check+carriage and 240 for a general overhaul (both prices do not incl VAT). http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/media/24...ices_final.pdf

JD Camtech also offer a full service for 165 - note they no longer repair the 500c, which may suggest something about the number of spare parts available. http://www.jdcamtech.com/www.jdcamte....php?p=7&pno=0

David
Old 7th September 2014, 04:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallen View Post
Jamming is almost always down to user error. In over 25 years of using Hasselblads, I never had a jam.
Likewise (since 1979). Put the rear lens cover on straight away, to protect the two mechanical linkages against accidental actuation. This was taught to me when I was an raw assistant.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd