Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th August 2016, 10:19 AM
Friend

Default Large format in the UK

Just starting up in the UK.

http://www.5x4.co.uk
Old 15th August 2016, 01:11 PM
Friend

The LFPF is the best Forum for Large Format regardless of what country you're in. It has some of the leading exponents from around the world as well as many newcomers.

The vast majority of UK large format users post there. I'd add that though that forum I've met many UK photographers as well as others from Turkey & Greece, Spain, the US and next month a group in Calgary (Canada).
Ian
Old 15th August 2016, 03:35 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Do you think this will fare better than the UK Large Format Photography Group, http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/, which now seems to be dormant?

Bill
Old 15th August 2016, 04:14 PM
Friend

I believe that is why they are giving it a go Bill. I never new of lf-photo so can't comment on that site. It can't do any harm I believe and my posting a link was to try and give them some support. I am very new to LF myself but hopefully this site can help me move forward.
Old 15th August 2016, 05:24 PM
Friend

It's unlikely to be any better than the older UK LF site, one has to be realistic and look at the number of postings on the International LFPF website and realise the field isn't that large. The same can be seen comparing this site to APUG where both have a more overall approach to film photography and darkroom use,

I started shooting LF in 1976 at a time when virtually no amateurs in the UK/Europe were using LF that really only started to happen in a very small way in the mid to late 1980's and accelerated in the late 90's and early 2000's when many pros shooting LF switched to digital and second hand equipment prices dropped very significantly particularly enlargers.

There's a serious issue of Copyright in the articles available via the site and it's sister Digital B&W photography and some articles aren't understood by the writer, the sites owner, as can be seen by his posts and questions elsewhere.

That opens another can of worms as articles are written by someone who has at this point not used an LF camera. As a highly respected UK LF user living abroad put it "It's a bit of a one man band"

Ian

Last edited by Lostlabours; 15th August 2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 15th August 2016, 06:21 PM
Friend

I would say there probably is still a niche for a UK based forum. Hopefully the individuals involved in the bickering and downfall of the old forum can leave this one to run.
Old 15th August 2016, 08:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I would say there probably is still a niche for a UK based forum. Hopefully the individuals involved in the bickering and downfall of the old forum can leave this one to run.
Thanks Dave.

There's a lot people never really saw on the old UK LF Frorum towards its demise, a large number of posts and threads were deleted and the people you allude to weren't involved in many/all of them. You only see the very few that weren't deleted.

There is a niche for a small UK LF forum but at the moment there's a basic flaw in the new one, it needs better leadership. or at least a change in attitude. The commercial selling of eBooks etc needs heavy monitoring, I'm not against it but when much is cut and paste from other copyright sources that's not reall fair play.

Nor is downloading Info from other website and hosting the files on the new Forum/website, it's normal practice to point to the original website.

I think it's possibly niavety but if I'm wrong then there's serious implications regarding copyright and I know that's being looked at (I'm notinvolved).

Come on Dave, get real he's written a View Camera Basics, he's attributed as Author, and yet never used one, so something isn't right.

Others (moderators of other Forums) have downloaded some of his eBooks and found "they did, however, find sections that were copied from other copyrighted material, and reported this to the copyright holder.".

Yes a new UK LF forum is useful but it needs to be clean and totally above board, no hidden agendas.

The major reason the last UK LF board failed never really came to light, the reality was it was a group that met up some from the old F32 site and was about more meetings, however the forum took on it's own life as others joined. Add into that Robert White backed it and Ebony users predominated. It was never a good mix as most of the original members had stopped posting long before many new members joined.

Then a moderator saw a chance of selling Lee filters to members & became a dealer so upped her posts to try to get sales. That's not what these forums are about.

Ian
Old 16th August 2016, 05:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
....and next month a group in Calgary (Canada).
Ian
Ian, are you actually travelling to Calgary? If so, and you want some local insight into what to do, where to go, what to see, etc., then shoot me a PM. I spend a few months every year in that area on business, and go hiking and skiing in the nearby Rockies at every opportunity. So I know the area quite well. Happy to share some tips and suggestions with you.

Cheers,
Svend
Old 18th August 2016, 03:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Thanks Dave.
Come on Dave, get real he's written a View Camera Basics, he's attributed as Author, and yet never used one, so something isn't right.
I don't see our point, a quick look at the document in question shows he clearly hasn't written that PDF and isn't claiming to have. He's most likely found an old article (it looks ancient, typewritten), likely from the public domain, and stuck it on as a resource. The name of the person who wrote it is clearly given at the top of the document. You could take issue with the "author" thing but to do so would seem to be wilfully missing the point, as it is there probably from the forum software because he uploaded it.

I've you've got genuine concerns about copyright infringement then I suggest you get in touch with him, but I've not noticed anything that I can't believe wasn't already in the public domain.

At the end of the day it's easy to criticise forum ownership/stewardship but most of us can't be bothered to put our money where our mouths are and come up with an alternative. And lets not forget it's no requirement of running a forum that you have to be some kind of world expert in the field. There's plenty of successful forums out there where this is the case.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies