Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd October 2019, 05:44 PM
Friend

Default Sit down darkroom

Just been thinking that I would be more comfortable sat down whilst making prints. Has anyone built their darkroom so that they can work sat down at their enlarger, slot processor or trays?
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:50 PM
Banned

No but I use my Astronomical chair normally used with my telescopes, most comfortable, could use a cushion though

WELL suited to a darkroom, like a draftsman's chair

Italian

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk...ing-chair.html

DO NOT get the OVL one, (Optical Vision), the seat is held in place by friction, if you sit right back it slams down to the floor, the front raises up, friction lost

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chair.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	3417   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050621.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	3418   Click image for larger version

Name:	h.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	3419   Click image for larger version

Name:	ovl.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	3420  

Last edited by Anon01; 23rd October 2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:16 PM
Friend

Norm, this is exactly what I'm planning if/when time permits.
Someone on the LF forum had pictures of their sit-down drkroom and I just though 'genius'.
I'm a dentist, and work sitting on a wheeled stool, so don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner. For the darkroom I aim for a lino floor so a scoot-along stool rolls easily. Might also allow for a lower bench and more column height on the enlarger- difficult roof space room.
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:30 PM
Friend

I have my enlargers on a computer desk and sit in a computer chair when using them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:47 PM
Friend

Default Sitting Down.

You are a lazy lot!

I could not work in the darkroom if I were sitting down. Firstly there is the enlarging stage. With the paper stored below the enlarging table I would be of and on the set every few mins. Then move 3 feet to the right for the developer, 2 more feet for the stop bath and then 2 more for the fixer.

With colour, I have my 3 bath Nova processor at the far end of the bench but that is over 2 meters away. (and the paper is again under the enlarger table.) Nah, I would rather stand and walk about. I need the exercise anyway!
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:24 PM
Friend

I’ve tried both and definitely prefer to stand. I spent 34 years sitting at a desk and now prefer to be on my feet - sitting feels too much like work for me.
Old 25th October 2019, 12:41 PM
Friend

I have a stool on which I perch in between bouts of activity.

So, during film development, I stand while I agitate and perch while I let it stand.

I plan to stand while I use the enlarger and perch while I agitate the print in the tray.

I find perching even for a short period makes a significant difference to how tired my legs get and how sore my feet become.

Martin
Old 25th October 2019, 03:27 PM
Friend

Default Darkroom

I sit while processing film and positioning negatives in a neg carrier (the stool is not very comfortable but it serves to keep me stable). I stand when at the enlarger (mostly 12x16", so the lightsource is at the top of the column) and dish-developing. I occasionally have a companion in the darkroom and we both stand - it's an old concrete wine fermentation tank (Desperate Dan made the doorway) and it's a bit cramped.
Incidentally, for those planning on building a darkroom, I have no running water there. A bucket of cold water and a kettle of hot are all I need, although I have an earthenware sink and a cold water tap at the other end of the garage, next to the Ilford 1050 print dryer.
Old 25th October 2019, 04:09 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Ageing is bad for ones health as well as everything else!

I sit on a step ladder with a padded seat on the top when using the enlarger and stand during development in a Nova slot processor (toaster).

Mike
Old 25th October 2019, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
Ageing is bad for ones health as well as everything else!

I sit on a step ladder with a padded seat on the top when using the enlarger and stand during development in a Nova slot processor (toaster).

Mike
Age alone has nothing to do with it, a teenager may not be able to stand fo time

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd