Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd March 2020, 04:21 PM
Friend

Default Reveni Light Meter

There is a new Kickstarter project running which looks intersting becasue the meter is designed for the use 'on' classic cameras.

https://www.reveni-labs.com/

Vid of Reveni:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqpcs49sY2A

I wonder what the retail price will be ?

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 3rd March 2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 3rd March 2020, 05:43 PM
Friend

This is interesting, Neil. The meter would be useful as a very portable, basic piece of equipment. The two obvious reservations that occur to me are (a) no prospect of using it for incident readings and (b) a fairly limited sequence of film speeds, meaning you'd need to do a bit of mental arithmetic if you're using e.g. 80 or 125 ISO film. Despite that, I'm certainly going to support the project.

I should have mentioned that he's already reached his goal.

oops - retail price is about £74 but in Canadian dollars.

Last edited by Michael; 3rd March 2020 at 05:49 PM. Reason: second para. and third para.
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:08 PM
Friend

Michael,

I already have two good small meters (for going light) + my trusty Sekonic so I doubt if it would tempt me. However, I do think it is a very good idea and one that is likely to do well.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:43 PM
Friend

Gossen make a very small digital meter which can be attached to a hotshoe. The mount may be an optional extra. It is a bit more expensive, but I think it can do incident and flash. It receives very good reviews.
My concern about the Reveni is the tiny opening for the sensor. It would be difficult to know what exactly it is seeing. The other issue is the small size of the buttons, but I think the Gossen was also criticised for that.
You don’t hear much Esperanto spoken these days!
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:00 PM
Friend

I have both the small Gossen and the small Sekonic. The Gossen can be a bit of a fiddle if you've not used it for a while and forgotten what all the buttons do. The small Sekonic is to me easier to use - so that gets used most.

However, the Revenei is a lot smaller than each of these meters and different in design being designed for a flash shoe.

Not for me though because I alreday have the Gossen and Sekonic for when I want to travel light.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
This is interesting, Neil. The meter would be useful as a very portable, basic piece of equipment. The two obvious reservations that occur to me are (a) no prospect of using it for incident readings and (b) a fairly limited sequence of film speeds, meaning you'd need to do a bit of mental arithmetic if you're using e.g. 80 or 125 ISO film. Despite that, I'm certainly going to support the project.

I should have mentioned that he's already reached his goal.

oops - retail price is about £74 but in Canadian dollars.
Michael where is the price mentioned? Does this mean that he is no longer accepting funds and that the meter is already for sale in Canada. If so I wonder what you were required to pledge to be guaranteed a meter and what was the saving for a "pledger" compared to the retail price

Thanks

Mike
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:10 PM
Friend

I have a sekonic L308 that does me, i used to have a L358 that i should of kept hold of
I have a lightmeter on my iphone 7 thats free, looks like a old gossen analogue type meter, does 50asa to 3200asa in 1/3rd stops and EV too
It,s called my lightmeter free, downloadable from the iphone app store
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:14 PM
Friend

The smartphone light meters are very useful. I used mine recently when on holiday. It saved me carrying an additional meter. I would have had my phone anyway, and the results, either metering from the palm of my hand, or from an identifiable mid-tone, were very good.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 4th March 2020, 12:29 AM
Friend

Well there would appear to be a demand for this meter given how quickly it made its target. For a new and incredibly small meter that fits into the hotshoe £74 may be an attractive enough price. I'd have wanted to see evidence that it works as well as its bigger rivals but unless there is another video where the inventor demonstrates this then it would appear that his market does not seem to demand this kind of rigorous proof before parting with its money.

If he has the production facilities to produce this meter to order then it would look to be plain sailing for him.

So far none of us appear to be drawn towards the purchase of this meter but there may well be a new market in photography consisting of people whose outlook and photography psyche is very different to those who find their natural home here on FADU.

Certainly a new breed of new film users is being predicted on Photrio.

My jury remains out on whether this new breed will sustain film in the long run but I may be of an old and dying breed. The sort who will still turn up for a 10 mile time trial on a flattish course with a fixed wheel on a 531 frame instead of a wireless shifting groupset on a carbon fibre frame and wheels

Mike
Old 4th March 2020, 09:01 AM
Friend

I think the thing to remember with this meter it is designed to be small and unobtrusive when attached to the top of a classic camera. And judged as that.

Therefore the spec is never going to approach that of a top-end meter from one of the main manufactures.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies