Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

  ***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27th September 2021, 08:00 PM
SanMiguel SanMiguel is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Portstewart, Northern Ireland
Posts: 340
Default HP5+ and HC-110

Any suggestions for this combination? I have used ID-11 for my HP5 for some years but recently have had a couple of failures, due (I think) to poor mixing on my part, so am trying out HC-110. I like that it is available in liquid form but Iím struggling to get good (easily printable) negs.

Before I embark on a proper test I thought I would ask if anyone can recommend this combination, and what dilution/times. Iím open to suggestions for other Ďbest developersí for HP5 too, by the wayÖ

Thanks,
Michael
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27th September 2021, 08:46 PM
Svend Svend is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,188
Default

Hi Michael,

HP5 in ID-11 is a great combo. Very reliable. It is one of two developers that I regularly use with this film.

One thing to be careful about with ID-11 is storage - full bottles only is the way to go.

I'm curious as to what happened with your failures? Did the developer not work at all? Blank films? Or something else? Perhaps with some background info we can help you fix this problem so you can keep using ID-11 (if you still like the results from it, that is).

I haven't used HC110 as yet, but it is said to yield similar results to ID-11 / D-76, especially at higher dilutions. The concentrate lasts forever, apparently. I have a bottle to try, but haven't got around to cracking it open yet.

If you're inclined, you might try dilute Perceptol at 1+1. It's my other go-to developer for HP5. Gives finer grain than ID-11, excellent sharpness, great highlight control, but softer contrast (which can be wonderful for certain scenes). The drawbacks are that it's another powder that needs mixing, and you get about 1/2 to 2/3 stop speed loss when used 1+1 (more if you use it undiluted). I love it for landscapes and any high contrast scenes where I need strong compensating effect to rein in the highlights.

Hope this helps, but do let us know what happened with your ID-11.
__________________
Regards,
Svend
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28th September 2021, 07:55 AM
Michael Michael is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ballinderry Lower, Co. Antrim
Posts: 1,205
Default

For various reasons Ilfotec HC is my default developer. Without checking my notes (out in the garage), I think that at box speed dilution 1:32 at 20C works very well, giving it 7 minutes. All this should be standard, as recommended on the film and developer data sheets (and on the film packaging). As that developer is similar to HC-110, you could try using that time with dilution B. The only difference then would be the agitation intervals.

I have tried various substitutions between the two developers with several Ilford films; and results are pretty similar.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28th September 2021, 08:57 AM
B&W Neil's Avatar
B&W Neil B&W Neil is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Cornwall
Posts: 4,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Any suggestions for this combination? I have used ID-11 for my HP5 for some years but recently have had a couple of failures, due (I think) to poor mixing on my part, so am trying out HC-110. I like that it is available in liquid form but I’m struggling to get good (easily printable) negs.

Before I embark on a proper test I thought I would ask if anyone can recommend this combination, and what dilution/times. I’m open to suggestions for other ‘best developers’ for HP5 too, by the way…

Thanks,
Michael


I have been using HC-110 for over 20 years now and this is what works for me with HP5+ :-

HP5+

1:63 (Dilution H)

@ 400 iso = 10.5 mins

@ 320 iso = 9.5 mins


Normal agitaion for each.


HP5+

1:49 (unoficial dilution but very convenient)

@ 320 iso 8 mins.

Normal agitaion.

All at 20 C .



When using HC 110 I usuually work in units of 500mls / 1000mls (volume) to keep the maths easy to avoid difficult dilutions and possible mistakes. There are many other dilutions available but I suggest you avoid the very high ones (unoficial) in case of developer exhaustion.


Neil.

Last edited by B&W Neil; 28th September 2021 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28th September 2021, 11:13 AM
Keith Tapscott.'s Avatar
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
I have been using HC-110 for over 20 years now and this is what works for me with HP5+ :-

HP5+

1:63 (Dilution H)

@ 400 iso = 10.5 mins

@ 320 iso = 9.5 mins


Normal agitaion for each.


HP5+

1:49 (unoficial dilution but very convenient)

@ 320 iso 8 mins.

Normal agitaion.

All at 20 C .



When using HC 110 I usuually work in units of 500mls / 1000mls (volume) to keep the maths easy to avoid difficult dilutions and possible mistakes. There are many other dilutions available but I suggest you avoid the very high ones (unoficial) in case of developer exhaustion.


Neil.
I will keep a note of this Neil. What do you use with FP4?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28th September 2021, 11:50 AM
Terry S Terry S is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southend on Sea, Essex, England UK
Posts: 3,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
HP5 in ID-11 is a great combo. Very reliable. It is one of two developers that I regularly use with this film.

One thing to be careful about with ID-11 is storage - full bottles only is the way to go.

I'm curious as to what happened with your failures? Did the developer not work at all? Blank films? Or something else?
I agree with Svend, I mix up my own ID11 / D76 as and when required and it is a great combo with HP5+. It gives me lovely negs to print, quite easily.

I'd have to slightly disagree about needing to store full bottles only though Svend. Whenever I mix a new batch up, I put it into green wine bottles and as the liquid goes down. I currently squirt in some propane gas i.e. lighter gas, which is available at £1 at the Pound Shop, which I got put onto this by a couple of users on here, after previously using much overpriced tinned gases for years. Doing this, oxidization is avoided and the developer is kept fresh for months at a time.

The only small problem I had at the beginning, was finding a way to squirt it into things safely. I finally bought a wooden spatula for about £1 from Wilko's, whose hole in the handle is just the right size to fit the gas nozzle in. Beware of liquids near the entrance though e.g. a Nova processor, as the power of the gas sprayed developer far and wide when I first tried it directly! I now squirt into a small bottle first - as the gas is heavier than air, and then pour it gently into the Nova slot.

As for film failures, I now always do a film clip test, which at least tells me my developer is active. I do this after a blank film done in Rodinal. Like Svend, I would be curious to your problems with ID11 / D76.

Terry S
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28th September 2021, 01:46 PM
Svend Svend is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I agree with Svend, I mix up my own ID11 / D76 as and when required and it is a great combo with HP5+. It gives me lovely negs to print, quite easily.

I'd have to slightly disagree about needing to store full bottles only though Svend. Whenever I mix a new batch up, I put it into green wine bottles and as the liquid goes down. I currently squirt in some propane gas i.e. lighter gas, which is available at £1 at the Pound Shop, which I got put onto this by a couple of users on here, after previously using much overpriced tinned gases for years. Doing this, oxidization is avoided and the developer is kept fresh for months at a time.

The only small problem I had at the beginning, was finding a way to squirt it into things safely. I finally bought a wooden spatula for about £1 from Wilko's, whose hole in the handle is just the right size to fit the gas nozzle in. Beware of liquids near the entrance though e.g. a Nova processor, as the power of the gas sprayed developer far and wide when I first tried it directly! I now squirt into a small bottle first - as the gas is heavier than air, and then pour it gently into the Nova slot.

As for film failures, I now always do a film clip test, which at least tells me my developer is active. I do this after a blank film done in Rodinal. Like Svend, I would be curious to your problems with ID11 / D76.

Terry S

+1 Good advice Terry. Especially about the clip tests. I do these as a matter of routine whenever using developer or fixer that is even the slightest bit old. Just takes minutes, but the reassurance that all the effort and expense to go and shoot the films and then develop them won't be for naught is well worth the 5 minutes it takes for the clip tests. I use the time that the clips tests are going to prep and organize other things for the session, including some appropriate music , so it really doesn't take any time at all. Highly recommended.

I've never bothered with gases and all that - I just store my developer stock in 500ml bottles that get used up in one session, so my bottles are always full. But that's a great tip on butane gas -- I'll have to keep that in mind. It's cheap enough to buy a little bottle with a spritz nozzle.

Michael - if you like the results with ID-11, let's see if we can help you avoid future problems.
__________________
Regards,
Svend
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28th September 2021, 02:32 PM
B&W Neil's Avatar
B&W Neil B&W Neil is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Cornwall
Posts: 4,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
I will keep a note of this Neil. What do you use with FP4?

Keith,

I am well out of touch with FP4+ and not used it for years . All on HP5+ these days and some Foma 200 for Alt work.

Neil.
__________________
"The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance." Aristotle

Neil Souch
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28th September 2021, 03:39 PM
SanMiguel SanMiguel is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Portstewart, Northern Ireland
Posts: 340
Default

Thanks everyone for chipping in. You've given me a good starting point for my HC-110 experiments.

I used to get great results with ID-11 but I've had problems with it twice...the first time I shrugged it off but when it happened again I was frustrated. Hence my foray into HC-110.

Anyway, here's what happened:

I made up the 5l of ID-11 as per instructions and stored it in wine bottles which I use the vacuum pump to expel any air. Both times the failures have come from my 'last' bottle of ID-11...not particularly old, I do get through the 5l in a few months, but I think (in fact I may have posted here at the time) the general consensus was that the artefacts present (hopefully visible on the scan below, white dots down both edges of the print) may have been due to undissolved developer particles.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	id11-fail.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	4247  
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28th September 2021, 04:55 PM
alexmuir alexmuir is online now
Friend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 2,468
Default

I can say that the time Neil has given for the 1+49 dilution is very close to mine. I tend use 1+49 for the reasons given. Itís far easier if you are using metric measurements.
Alex


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
Reply
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.