Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th October 2009, 09:48 AM
Friend

Default Fine Grain Color Film Recomendations

Since I'm been away from the darkroom for a bit, I would appreciate some recommendations for fine grain color films. I also apologize in advance if this question has been asked too many times before.

I do not see much significant distinction between E-6 or C-41 processes, especially since my post production flow will be to digitally scan (I know, dirty word) the film. A problem that I'm having in reviewing what is on the market is that their grain/resolution specifications operate on different scales. E-6 transparency films on the resolvability of the film and C-41 negative films on the perceived grain in an enlarged print. With digital scanning and ink jet printing (I know, dirty words), both film types end up with the same post chemical processing flow and would easily lend themselves to a unified grain measurement scale.

Another factor that is important to me is I would like the films that I eventually choose to go with to be available in both 135 roll, medium format 120 roll, and 4x5 sheet formats.

On the C-41 side, I've been researching and considering Kodak Portra-160NC, Portra-160VC, and Ektar 100. For E-6, Fujichrome Velvia 50 and Astia 100-F.

Since it can be a factor, I conduct illustrative documentary photography with a subject preference for Antiques, Animals, Nature, Landscapes, Weather and Meteorological phenomena, and Astrophotography, examples can be seen on my Imagekind page whose link is in my signature. A definite advantage that film has over digital is low light and night performance, but that also requires films with little or compensative reciprocity failure when making long exposures.

I would appreciate recommendations on what films to go with or try.

Thanks in advance.

Please visit my gallery at:
Imagekind

Last edited by Steaphany; 30th October 2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 30th October 2009, 10:58 AM
Friend

I'm not a fan of Velva, but many here are. I use Provia 100 and 400 changing recently to 100. My most recent batch of slides on 100 look supersmooth.
I have posted here on the forum some of my provia 400 if wish to have a look to get an idea.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 30th October 2009, 11:32 AM
Friend

I would think about Pro160 for c41 as it is cheaper than Porta and has very good latitude, available in all the sizes you want to.

Provia100 would be my choice in E6, good reciprocity, something like 2 mins before needing to compensate then +1 stop I think.
Velvia50 is a killer for reciprocity, I use it for landscape and it can be an issue at the end of the day let alone night photography. 15 secs is all you get, then +1 until about 1min then +1.5 and so on. The colour shift is more pronounced than Provia too.

Gari
Old 30th October 2009, 09:49 PM
Friend

I find the new Ektar 100 to be an extremely nice color negative film and the grain is not an issue in either 35mm or 120 format. The colors are true and vivid but not too saturated. Many people find the blues to be a little bit too much on the cyan side. I find this true of lab prints but not of scans. I have not processed my own prints so cannot give any information there. It is definitely worth trying out.

All that being said, I really like transparencies and will defer to others for more informed opinions as, sadly, my Kodachrome has been taken away...
Old 31st October 2009, 07:18 PM
Friend

Thanks for all the help

Please visit my gallery at:
Imagekind
Old 1st November 2009, 10:11 AM
Friend

I'll second Ektar 100, phenomenal stuff. Grain is to all intents and purposes invisible to 16x12 from 35mm. When printed digitally (ahem!) I find I get better results than from Velvia 50 - finer grain and better dynamic range. I intend to try some in 120 shortly.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd