Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th November 2010, 03:52 PM
Friend

Default Comparison of Films - Digital Truth

Digital Truth appears to have thrown its lot in with Fotospeed products and Rollei 400 film after the demise of Legacy Pro but it is its film comparison that's interesting.

Anyone wanting to compare films might care to have a look. Go to the section on Rollei 400 film and click on the details section. It has got a strip of 5 identical negs of a plant and foliage developed in Fotospeed developer for the recommended time for each film.

It looks as if the first neg is at box speed and the others at successively one stop less so 800, 1600, 3200 and 6400. It doesn't actually say it is one stop less but that's my assumption.

Anyway it is a good indicator of retention of shadow detail at higher speeds as well as shadow detail at box speed.

In my opinion the film that has run out and disappeared, namely Legacy Pro 400, ironically shows as good detail at 400 as the Rollei and better detail further up the scale.

The clear winner however from my observations of the negs, confirming what I have read elsewhere for pushing seems to be good old HP5+. It looks grainier at box speed but seems not to be beaten in the pushing stakes.

Worth a look for those interested in comparisons.

Mike
Old 4th November 2010, 04:29 PM
Friend

The page Mike refers too is HERE. It would be a much more valid test if other developers had been compared as well.
Old 4th November 2010, 04:42 PM
Friend

who makes legacy pro films,are they fotospeed own brand?i've never come across them before,i tend to stick to kodak 100 for my 120 stuff and either delta 100 or hp5 for my 35mm work.
thanks for the link.
Old 4th November 2010, 05:16 PM
Friend

Legacy pro is re branded fuji, strangely digital truth don't seem to actualy be stocking FD10, can't find in their list,Richard
Old 4th November 2010, 06:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Legacy pro is re branded fuji, strangely digital truth don't seem to actualy be stocking FD10, can't find in their list,Richard
It's HERE. In fact it's the only brand that they stock.
Old 4th November 2010, 06:48 PM
Friend

The test results seem in-line with my own finding. I often use Legacy Pro films in FD10 and have always been amazed at the amount of detail the rebranded neopan 400 captures in this dev.

By the way Richard he is the link for FD10 : http://www.digitaltruth.com/uk/store...p-1-c-442.html

If any of you are tempted to try this two fine products combined you will certainly be inspired with lovely printable negs.

All the best
Larry.
Old 4th November 2010, 07:34 PM
Friend

Is Digital truth u.k fotospeed by another name, everything seems to be Fotospeed or fotospeed imports, except for the roll of Rollei film,Richard
Old 4th November 2010, 07:39 PM
Friend

Larry Thanks for the link, I am quite happy now using HP5+ in FD10,now the problems are sorted it is indeed a fine developer, but in the US store of digital truth, where the film comparison comes from, I can't find FD10,much to my surprise that is the developer used in the tests,Richard
Old 4th November 2010, 08:22 PM
Friend

I suspect it is the developer used because Digitaltruth have decided to stock Fotospeed products and thus promote the only developer it stocks.

Had it not moved on from its only previous product of Legacy Pro then it would be almost out of business.

It is a bold enough move and needs to be applauded but even with a 10% reduction which is only being offered to existing customers for 3days, it only just beats Matt of Ag by a short nose, using the example of 100 sheets of RC 5x7. Take this away and Matt clearly wins.

Call me a dismal Jimmy but I just wonder if DT is here for the long term. I believe Matt is and I know who will get my business if the item is stocked by both.

Mike
Old 5th November 2010, 09:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It's HERE. In fact it's the only brand that they stock.
That's only for the UK Dave. They have a lot more available for the USA.
http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/cart/
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies