Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th November 2010, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Default Cheap UV Lamp

Anyone interested in trying some alternative processes might want to pop into their local Lidl store. This weeks special offer is a Facial Tanning lamp with 4 Philips tubes for £24.99. However I'm not sure if the offers are the same country wide?
Old 8th November 2010, 06:08 PM
Friend

Barry,

I'm also looking for an affordable UV light source (not going to build myself at this time ).

Since I'm in the US (would have to find an equivalent here), can you tell me a little bit about the specs and the suitability of this lamp for alternate process?
Old 8th November 2010, 09:34 PM
Friend

I recently aquired one of the Philips units on ebay for peanuts. Several people use them for cyanotypes (Akki14 was the one that "recommended" this unit to me). I've been using it to mess around with carbon printing, so far, only for 5x4 prints.

The downside is the built in timer is pretty inaccurate, so I use it with a Durst timer - Two blasts of 90 seconds at five inches is sufficient for my print(s).
Old 9th November 2010, 12:57 PM
Friend

Yeah I'd never trust the clockwork timer on it but they are very handy little units. I paid £20 for mine second hand and hubby told me about this offer... it's tempting to have a backup because sod's law now states that as soon as these run out mine's going to blow out as I've had it for many years so far
I just use the timer on my watch. About 2inch away from my printing frame is around 8-10minutes per cyanotype if the negative is properly dark. Much less time for weedy thin negs.

I can't remember any specs on mine, it's just 4 short-ish UV tubes in a housing with reflective stuff behind it which keeps the light bouncing around enough that you don't get hot spots.
Old 9th November 2010, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillShade View Post
Barry,

I'm also looking for an affordable UV light source (not going to build myself at this time ).

Since I'm in the US (would have to find an equivalent here), can you tell me a little bit about the specs and the suitability of this lamp for alternate process?
Sorry Will I don't have the specs for this lamp. However my Philips unit uses similar tubes and performs as Heather (Akki14) describes.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies