Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th December 2008, 09:07 PM
Friend

Default Agfa APX400S security film

I sold a couple of 150ft rolls of APX400S on Ebay early on in the year and one of the buyers mentioned he was using it for it's extended Infrared sensitivity ? I still have one and a half bulk rolls of film in the fridge and wonder if anyone can give me a few pointers on testing it for Infrared sensitivity , as I have long since lost the email for the buyer who mentioned it and I've never shot Infrared .

Paul
Old 27th December 2008, 09:15 PM
Friend

Paul, I'm not familiar with this film but it could have a similar response to IR as Ilford's SFX200. When I last used this film I used a dense IR filter, B+W 092 (Kodak 89B). This gave quite a good response, the usual white foliage and deep sky tones. You good try a x8 Red filter but I don't think this will give you much of an IR effect with this film.

BTW, B+W produce other IR filters, 093 (Kodak 87C), 094 (Kodak 87A).
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 27th December 2008, 10:20 PM
Friend

Thanks Trevor I will have to get hold of an IR filter and give it a go .
As an addendum whilst looking for more information via google I found this Site which has a brief mention of APX400S and it would appear that you are right Trevor and it is similiar to SFX

Paul
Old 27th December 2008, 11:19 PM
Friend

So happens I have a datasheet for this film.

Looking at the spectral sensitivity curve indicates to me that it has no extended sensitivity into the IR. Infact I'd say that its characteristics show that it has extended sensitivity at the other end of the spectrum compared to normal films. However the second datasheet is for APX200S and that shows significant extended sestivity into the IR from a normal film. I think someone has their films mixed up.

f-apx400s-efs1_en.pdf

APX200S.pdf

Last edited by Argentum; 27th December 2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 27th December 2008, 11:56 PM
Friend

I think your right Rob, The person who mentioned this to me must have assumed that 200S and 400S where similar apart from speed .
Many thanks , You've probably saved me from an unproductive couple of days

Paul
Old 27th December 2008, 11:57 PM
Friend

I would add that APX200S looks to have similar characteristics as ILFORD SFX and is not true IR film.

With any film if you cut out the lower wavelengths, then you will get IR type effects. Its just a question of picking the correct filter with the cutoff at the correct point for your film. But you won't get the bright whites you get from foliage when using true IR as the film won't respond to the IR so much.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies