Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th February 2009, 11:24 AM
Friend

Default Changing tents?

I'm looking into getting a changing tent to change 5x4 film holders when I'm away.
I can only find two options which are available in the UK, the Harrison Pup tent or the Calumet Changing Room.
I'm struggling to justify spending £200 on the Harrison where the Calumet only costs £42.50.
Has anyone had any experience with the Calumet?

I could get a larger changing bag but I hated using these with 120 let alone 5x4 or I could change to Quick/ReadyLoads but the price of these per sheet are ridiculous IMO and limited choice for B+W film.
Old 13th February 2009, 12:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Meal View Post
I'm looking into getting a changing tent to change 5x4 film holders when I'm away.
I can only find two options which are available in the UK, the Harrison Pup tent or the Calumet Changing Room.
I'm struggling to justify spending £200 on the Harrison where the Calumet only costs £42.50.
Has anyone had any experience with the Calumet?

I could get a larger changing bag but I hated using these with 120 let alone 5x4 or I could change to Quick/ReadyLoads but the price of these per sheet are ridiculous IMO and limited choice for B+W film.
Mike, Robert White have the Harrison 'Pup' for £108+VAT.

I use the Harrison Original (I needed the larger one for 8x10 film changing) and it is certainly well made, quick to set up and compact enough to carry in the field. Sadly I have no experience of the Calumet changing room. The Harrison's do 'pop-up' on the second market from time to time.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 13th February 2009, 12:20 PM
Friend

Thanks Trevor but I just checked Robert Whites and the Pups are now £180+vat. Seems RW and other photography retailers have put their prices up due to the recession.

If I thought I would get alot of use out of it then I would get a Pup but I probably would only use it a few times a year.
One thing I have learnt is that if you buy cheap you usually buy twice which is why I'm hesitant on the Calumet.
Old 13th February 2009, 02:06 PM
Friend

I too am a Pup user, and brought mine second-hand through ebay from the USA. I also decided against the standard changing bags as they are awkward to work in. I considered the Calumet Changing Room. The only drawback I could see with it, and the reason I didn't get one is that they don't pack very small, but then, as I've now found out neither does the Pup. One goes flat, and the other rolls up.
Old 13th February 2009, 11:38 PM
Friend

Hi Mike, I too have the full size Harrison

I bought mine from the USA - from Badger in the USA - http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...uct_list&c=161

Badger are a lot more competitive on some stuff than Robert White - he is selling the Harrison Tents for about the same price in US Dollars as RW charges in UK Pounds.

Shipping from the US is a little more - but not enough to make that much of a difference

Importing stuff is very easy - as the Courier does all the hard work

On the question of size, I find the regular/original Harrison Tent to be about right for me with 5x4.
By the time I have several stacks of Darkslides and a couple of boxes of films, the working space left over is generous enough but not huge.
May be I have just learned to spread out lots but for me moving down to a Pup would be a struggle.

I cannot say about the quality of the alternatives are but the Harrison Tent is first class and will last me for many years to come.

Martin
Old 14th February 2009, 05:31 AM
Administrator

An expensive but excellent option is the Shadow Box, made by Visual Departures.
Old 14th February 2009, 08:52 AM
Friend

I've just ordered the Pup from the MPEX Ebay shop.
I went for the Pup as it was the smallest and lightest tent which could be packed into my check in bag when I need to fly.

Thanks for your help with this though gents.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies