Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th September 2015, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Default Harman Sold!

I hope this is not bad news

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=211
Old 14th September 2015, 04:52 PM
Friend

I don't like it.
Old 14th September 2015, 05:11 PM
Friend

This one will have amassed 1000 pages already on APUG Given the management buy-out that was actioned in 2005 there had to come a point when the "manager shareholders" would sell if the price was right for their own wealth and future.

Presumably unless the purchasers have a lot of film know-how the current management or at least those not ready for retirement will continue to run the business so that's some good news but the bad news is that if they own nothing of the business they become salaried managers or minor shareholders without control

No control may be fine as long as the team is top of the league but when it loses a few games the new owner decides he will pick the team to use the football analogy

That could be worrying as Miha has said

Mike
Old 14th September 2015, 05:12 PM
Friend

I don't like change, but I do not see any reason, at the moment, to doubt their intentions given in the press release.

Although film is having a bit of a renaissance, it is not going to be the next big thing. My feelings are that Harman has been bought as it is a steady business which will continue to grow year on year, albeit slowly. Maybe it is considered a 'safe-bet' with a global presence.

I may just put a film order in to cover all bases !!
Old 14th September 2015, 05:28 PM
Friend

worrying, to say the least, I suppose the management team from the 2005 buy out,, or at least some of them, must be ready to retire and enjoy their wealth, but many V.C. companies do not have a great reputation, nothing on the press release should give cause for concern, but perhaps it just might be time to look around at what is currently available, and the prices, as you can be sure that with new pwners both Ilford and Kentmere prices will creep up, slowly possibly, but needs watching, Maybe I will be glad I switched from Ilford to Foma film 10 years ago, for other reasons apart from the results, and how will Kentmere paper, which has already been decimated since the Harman buy out, fare?
Richard
Old 14th September 2015, 05:52 PM
Friend

I wonder what the Harman / Ilford site would be worth as potential building site for new houses That's were all the money seems to be these days and nothing would surprise me with investment companies.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 14th September 2015, 06:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
I wonder what the Harman / Ilford site would be worth as potential building site for new houses That's were all the money seems to be these days and nothing would surprise me with investment companies.
Now, I am worried!
Old 14th September 2015, 06:11 PM
Friend

I take this as good news! A venture/private equity company would not buy out if they were not convinced there is a profitable and sound future for Harman. And Harman could benefit from a new source of capital to further develop their business
Peter
Old 14th September 2015, 06:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
I wonder what the Harman / Ilford site would be worth as potential building site for new houses
There are already Planning applications being prepared or submitted for a large housing development on the site with relocating some of the Harman buildings allowing Harman to continue their production. Whether the new owner will want to build on the area allocated to Harman must be a fear.

Tony
Old 14th September 2015, 07:55 PM
Friend

Some good points here about housing development . It would seem that Harman leases the land and doesn't own it so doesn't that mean that the venture capitalists are in fact buying Harman facilities, know-how and not the land which rules out a purchase for housing development , doesn't it?

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies