Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th April 2021, 06:42 PM
Friend

Default Equivalent of Massive Dev Chart for Paper Developers ?

The Massive Dev Chart site has helped me a lot over the years and I was wondering if anyone has found anything similar for paper developers and papers.

I posted this on the Large Format Forum but thought it would be good to post here as well. If I hear anything good on the other forum, I'll pass it along.

Regards
Dave
Old 19th April 2021, 08:29 PM
Friend

I know of nothing, but I doubt it would exist, normally you would develop paper to completion, and as far as developing times for paper goes, they are all pretty much the same, at least those I have come across, I develop FB paper in paper developer 1 in 13 for 3 minutes, never check temp, winter it is around 20 in my darkroom, which has central heating, and in summer it can very a lot depending on the outside temps, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the finshed print, and other than warm tone or standard developers makes little if any,
Richard
Old 19th April 2021, 08:51 PM
Friend

Hi, Dave, I think that Richard has pretty well summed up the reasons why we have never seen a MDC for papers and their developers - probably just not enough variety or reasons for the need for variety to make it worthwhile

Mike
Old 19th April 2021, 09:06 PM
Friend

Thanks - thinking about it a bit more it makes sense

Dave
Old 20th April 2021, 07:10 AM
Friend

Hmm, sounds a bit like a solution looking for a problem, but what do I know....

For alternative processes it might be worthwhile but, as I don't indulge, it might be that something like that exists.
Old 20th April 2021, 03:08 PM
Friend

Default Film v Paper

I go along with the others but will say there are so many permutations of film, developers and temperatures, the M.D.C. makes a lot of sense and indeed has been a great help tome..

Paper/time/temperature is more or less the same for each different make/type for fibre give it 2-3 mins for resin 45s to 2 mins it is so flexible.Even if you get it wrong, it isn't the end, because you still have the negative and can have another go.

I blame the lockdown where someone has had time on their hands and thought it may be a good idea.
Old 21st April 2021, 06:14 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I know of nothing, but I doubt it would exist, normally you would develop paper to completion, and as far as developing times for paper goes, they are all pretty much the same, at least those I have come across, I develop FB paper in paper developer 1 in 13 for 3 minutes, never check temp, winter it is around 20 in my darkroom, which has central heating, and in summer it can very a lot depending on the outside temps, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the finshed print, and other than warm tone or standard developers makes little if any,
Richard
You develop to achieve Dmax with a little extra as a safety marging, over deveolping muddies the highlights and mid tones. So stick to manufactuers recommended times.

The exception is warm tone papers where development and exposure can be used to control the degree of warmth, shoter development or greater diltion with increased exposure to compensate gives warmer tones.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies