Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Workshop News

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th January 2010, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
One other point, the Photographers Place actually was a 'place', a point on the map, and having a little sanctuary with photo library and many excellent photographs on the walls, somewhere to meditate, was part of the experience. The experience might not be quite the same in temporary accomodation.
I fully agree Martin. I have spent a few enjoyable weeks at Inversnaid over the years. It's nice to have the company of other photographers, a good library of photographic books and very comfortable accommodation.
Old 19th January 2010, 07:53 AM
Friend

I wasn’t suggesting that there is anything wrong in running these, or similar events for financial reward. If that’s what it takes, then I’m all for the impetus of cash. As for the event under discussion I do think it very good value, since the £300 fee includes 2 nights full board, by way of comparison our own weekend sojourn to Dorset will cost around half that sum half-board, so no filthy capitalistic profiteering sullying the high ground there.

My disinterest in the subject event remains rooted purely in the digital emphasise, necessary or no.

For the record I have been on several residential workshops and enjoyed them immensely, but then they were digital free events.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:48 AM
Friend

Another point about the cost of running any course is that it is not simply about £X for the weekend. One has to pay for talent and skills and the organisers would have put a lot of time in arranging and planning before the weekend as well as being there all of the time over the weekend.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 19th January 2010, 11:45 AM
Friend

As someone who helps a friend in running one of his week long photographic workshops. I can seriously say that I feel exhausted after a weeks landscape workshop, so much so that I need a holiday to get over it
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 19th January 2010, 01:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
As someone who helps a friend in running one of his week long photographic workshops. I can seriously say that I feel exhausted after a weeks landscape workshop, so much so that I need a holiday to get over it
I recommend a week photographing the landscape.
Old 19th January 2010, 06:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I wasn’t suggesting that there is anything wrong in running these, or similar events for financial reward. If that’s what it takes, then I’m all for the impetus of cash. As for the event under discussion I do think it very good value, since the £300 fee includes 2 nights full board, by way of comparison our own weekend sojourn to Dorset will cost around half that sum half-board, so no filthy capitalistic profiteering sullying the high ground there.

My disinterest in the subject event remains rooted purely in the digital emphasise, necessary or no.

For the record I have been on several residential workshops and enjoyed them immensely, but then they were digital free events.
£300 is cheap, largely because the YHA accommodation is so cheap. Fact is that digital means that people offering these courses need to provide zero equipment. If a venue/hotel has a seminar room room then it likely provides a digital projector and even if it doesn't, all the organiser needs by way of equipment is a digital projector and laptop and most people already have a laptop. i.e. there is next to no investment required to run these courses except for some time in planning. That is the reason I beleive why so many people are doing them. There is no risk of losing money if it doesn't work out.
And the leaders get to photograph where they want to and make some money too.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:36 AM
Friend

That kind of healthy scepticism and insight is right up my alley Percepts
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies