Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th March 2020, 07:12 PM
Friend

Default Different Batteries

Hi all,

Think this might be a bit of a dumb question, but I have several cameras that take 2 x LR44 batteries.

Is there any reason why I can't replace them with a 2L76 3v lithium battery ?

Just think that putting one double sized battery in would be easier "in the field" than 2 smaller ones.

Ian
Old 9th March 2020, 07:56 PM
Friend

You might be best to check the specific camera instructions, Ian. I have seen Nikon suggesting alternatives that work in some models, including using a 3V lithium in place of 2xLR44. I don’t know about other brands.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 9th March 2020, 07:57 PM
Friend

There are some that say don't do it but I have used the two different types without any problems in Olympus, Nikon FM and Minolta XE1/XM. When I used an Olympus OM2 SP they were notorious for eating batteries especially in the cold. The Lithium worked better although they still used them quicker than in my OM2n.

Incidentally the life of batteries on an OM2SP could be extended when not being used by rotating the shutter speed dial onto the 'B' position which is mechanical so all the power is off.

Last edited by John King; 9th March 2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 9th March 2020, 11:13 PM
Administrator

In theory it should work well (assuming a mechanical match) but I have not tried it in practice. The lithium cell will hold more energy and should stay close to its nominal 3V for longer. I don't know about lithium's self-discharge though - a lithium cell might discharge itself quicker over time compared to an alkaline cell; or it may be even better than alkaline - IDK either way, but that would seem to be the only potential downside I can think of off hand.

Probably worth the small investment to find out.
Old 10th March 2020, 07:09 AM
Friend

There's some advice at this site:

http://www.smallbattery.company.org....facturers,LR44

Nick
Old 10th March 2020, 08:06 AM
Friend

I have seen an Nikon repairer advise using the 3v Lithium batteries in the F2.

For Olympus cameras people seem to advise to use the SR44 (I use them) and some have said that the 3v Lithium damage the cameras.

So hard to tell really
Old 10th March 2020, 05:34 PM
Friend

Alex - I just looked up my camera's manuals on line, and they state that they are either 2 x LR44's or 1 x lithium CR-1/3N battery.

I have no idea why I didn't think of looking it up in the manuals in the first place

Thanks to everyone for your replies and pointers. much appreciated.

Ian
Old 10th March 2020, 05:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
Alex - I just looked up my camera's manuals on line, and they state that they are either 2 x LR44's or 1 x lithium CR-1/3N battery.

Ian
Just curiosity on my part but I take it that 1 x lithium CR1/3N battery is exactly the same dimension as 2 LR44s. I ask this as it struck me that otherwise there would be a problem of making electrical contact unless the lithium is the same height and width of 2 LR44s or have I misunderstood the problem?

By the same token as 2 x LR44s = 3V which I think they do then I am puzzled how the same 3V in a lithium can damage the camera. The camera can't tell the difference between 2x 1.5v and 3v can it? A volt is a volt or is it?

mike
Old 10th March 2020, 06:39 PM
Friend

Hi Mike,

Have a look at the X300 manual in the "manuals section" page 9.

I'd forgotten that I had uploaded it, but the page about the battery, might answer your questions

Ian
Old 10th March 2020, 07:44 PM
Friend

Thanks Ian Yes it is clear from page 9 that the lithium is in fact twice the depth but same width as 2 LR44s This was what I had envisaged but was curious to find out.

It also says that the lithium is the equivalent which again I had expected. I don't think I'd have asked the question but for one post which suggested that the lithium might damage an Olympus camera compared to SR44 and yet they seem to be rated the same OK I have just seen a page that says one is 1.5 and the other 1.55.

Frankly the internet is all over the place on this as is usual. I could only find one comment about Olympus but that was about being happier with 357s than SR44 a typical one-liner comment with no explanation. None of which is your problem of course

Frankly if we could harness the hot air on the internet then we could solve Global Warming

I'll stop now before getting carried away and being ordered to leave the floor of the House by the Speaker

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies